Chapter 4

Merry Christmas!
Happy New Year!

If you think an update was long overdue, then you're right. I'm sorry for slacking on the job, even if it is voluntary. I know some of you guys really enjoyed the story so far. It's just that people haven't been very receptive to what I've published so far and it's a major turn-off in regards to my motivation to write.

Thoughts aside, enjoy the next three chapters :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was the middle of the night, around 2 a.m.. The cabin was freezing cold, and I was wearing a hoodie underneath the several blankets covering me like a burrito. To top that, I was inside a sleeping bag, and there were two pairs of socks on my feet.
"pssst, Ben, wake up."
I wasn't really sleeping, it was much too cold to fall asleep. But I pretended not to hear anyways, for I was too exhausted to formulate a response.

My eyes were shut, but I sensed something moving in the middle of the room (the bunk beds were nestled against the walls in a U shape, leaving an open space in the middle of the cabin).
I opened my eyes, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I craned my neck to look behind me, and saw nothing except Christopher's things hanging from the bed on top of mine.

Several minutes of silence had passed since I had heard the voice calling for me, so I assumed that the person had fallen asleep.
Ignoring my primal instincts and ignoring the possible movement I detected in the room, I turned my head towards the wall to make another vain attempt at sleeping.

Suddenly, my mattress began to vibrate, ever so softly. I heard the muffled vibrating comingk from the duffel bag underneath my bag. With a supreme effort, I reached for my bag and opened it up, shivering the whole time.

The vibrating had stopped, but I noticed a blinking red light shining through one of the smaller compartments. I located the source of the light: it was a plastic baggy containing the incredibly small earpiece I had been given several days ago.

The light kept blinking. What did it want? With increasing fear, I opened it up and thought of nothing better but to stick it in my ear.

I put it on. Immediately, warmth spread through my body, and suddenly I couldn't feel anything. To my dismay, I realized it was electrocuting me. I lost consciousness and sank back into my bed.

I woke up feeling like a scorpion had made its nest in my mouth. My tongue was so dry, and my head hurt all over. I opened my eyes and saw the peeling roof of a minivan.

"Hey Ben. How're you feeling?" Said Catherine.

Erica's mom??? That would mean that I was officially back on mission duties. Shaking off the pain, I sat up in an erect posture and greeted her.

After a quick briefing, I learned that I was being taken to a CIA marina, where I would meet up with Erica and begin my mission. I was saddened to realize that the time I had at camp was way shorter than I had expected it to be.

The marina was, like any other CIA property, underfunded and a poor sight to the eyes. Getting out of the car, I was hit with an icy blast of wind. I'd forgotten how cold it was the previous night. Catherine noticed my shivering and tossed me a shimmery jacket. I recognized it as the space-fiber used in astronaut suits, like the kind Erica always carried around with her. I threw it on and waved goodbye to Catherine. Two agents were waiting for me at the entrance, and took me to a small office room where I would wait for Erica.

Erica, apparently, was being shipped in by helicopter under the supervision of her father. Although her father was no real spy, he'd proved his genuine kindness and love on the missions he'd accompanied me on.