1. A Visit From an Old Friend

Oliver's POV

"Hey, Oliver? Lance is on the phone, says he needs to talk to you."

"Now-" Punch. "-is not-" Kick. "-a really good time, Felicity." I dodged a bullet before releasing an arrow at the shooter.

"He sounded pretty insistent. Something about a meeting you're missing at city hall?"

I groaned inwardly before letting another arrow fly at the drug dealer who was trying to escape. "Right, we were supposed to decide on what to do about this year's budget. Um, tell Quentin to reschedule that for tomorrow."

"Well, the entire council's kind of already there and-"

"Please, Felicity."

I heard a sigh. "Fine."

I arrived back at the lair a little while later after catching a few more drug dealers and crime lords and what not. The usual Star City crowd the Green Arrow takes care of out in the field at night.

Felicity swiveled around in her chair to face me at the sound of my arrival. "Please tell me you're taking a break, Oliver. I mean, you've been out nonstop every night for the past week. I'm not sure how much more Iron Heights can take."

I set my bow and quiver in their places in the glass case. "Well, since the team's disbanded and Dig's still on the mend, someone has to be out there catching criminals."

Felicity put her hand on my arm. "There will always be criminals out there, Oliver. But there's only one of you. So go home. Get some sleep. Star City needs Mayor Oliver Queen, too. And William needs his father."

I sighed. "Fine. Goodnight, Felicity."

"Goodnight, Oliver."

~~~

I found myself the next morning at City Hall, of course, plagued by councilmen and women who were all wondering where I was at the meeting.

"My son caught the flu. I had to stay home and take care of him," I said for the umpteenth time.

"I say this as your deputy mayor and your friend, you gotta start coming up with better excuses," Quentin muttered in my ear.

"Well, it's not like I can say I was out busting up crime lords."

"How much longer do you think you can keep this up, Oliver?" Quentin asked. "Being mayor, the Green Arrow, and a father?"

"This is only temporary. Just until John is back on his feet," I replied.

"And you think that with the team gone, he isn't going to need you out there in the field with him to have his back?"

I didn't answer him. The truth was that he was right. I don't think I ever truly could stop being the vigilante, not since I put on the green hood six years ago. And I was afraid that one day, I would have no choice but to choose between being Oliver Queen and being the Green Arrow. On days like today and yesterday, I felt like the world needed the Green Arrow more.

"Oh, before I forget," Quentin said suddenly, "there's somebody waiting for you in your office."

I furrowed my eyebrows curiously. "Well, I just hope it isn't Agent Watson."

I opened the door to my office to reveal a tall, blond, muscular man wearing a dark blue jacket, sitting in one of the chairs in front of my desk. He stood up to face me upon hearing my footsteps.

"Steve Rogers, to what do I owe the pleasure?" I said, smiling.

"It's good to see you, Oliver." He shook my hand. "I just really wish it was under different circumstances."

I frowned. "Why, what's going on?"

"Tony's in town," Steve said. "And he wants to meet with us."

"Us as in. . ."

"You, me, Nat, Barry. He brought the Secretary of State with him." He gave me a strained smile before continuing. "And Agent Watson."

Oh god, I definitely jinxed it. "You're kidding."

"Nope. I wish I was."

"Nothing good can come from anything having to do with Agent Watson." I took a deep breath. "So I am bracing myself for the worst."

Steve nodded grimly. "Here's the address Tony gave me to give to you." He pulled out a slip of paper from his pocket and handed it to me. "New Avengers facility out at the edge of Star City. Tomorrow at 10."

I nodded. "I will see you then."

~~~

"Hey, buddy."

William poked his head out from under the sheets of his bed. "Dad?"

"Yeah, it's me." I went over and sat next to him on his bed. "Sorry I got home so late today. I just wanted to say goodnight to my boy first."

He smiled. "Goodnight, Dad."

I kissed his forehead. "Goodnight, buddy."

"Oh, we are going to the Rockets game next week, right?" William asked, making me stop on my way out of his dark room.

I turned back and smiled. "Of course, William."

I stepped out and shut the door quietly. And it's on nights like this when I realized my son needed me to be Oliver Queen, his father. So far, I'd been able to make this work, living a double life. But with whatever was happening tomorrow with the Secretary of State and Agent Watson, I had a feeling it was going to make everything a lot more complicated.