2. Keep Running

Barry's POV

I'm going to be late.

For a speedster, that thought ran through my mind far too often.

That thought happened to be the first thing that popped into my brain as I woke up this morning. Oliver said something about a meeting in Star City at the new Avengers facility? I don't know, he wasn't very clear about it over the phone, but I did know that I was going to be late if I didn't get out of bed right now.

Perks of being a speedster is that I can get ready and eat 50 pancakes for breakfast in about two seconds.

My wife, Iris, appeared at the bottom of the staircase as I was speeding through my last ten pancakes. "Hey, honey. You in a hurry to get somewhere?"

I stopped in the middle of my last pancake. "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I'm headed to Star City today. Oliver wanted to meet for something. Not quite sure what it's about."

"Well then," she said, walking over to me. I wrapped my arms around her waist as she wrapped hers around my neck. "Be back in time for our honeymoon, alright?"

I beamed. "Of course. I'll be back before you know it. And then we'll be on a nice, warm beach, drinking mai tais with those tiny little umbrellas in them."

Iris laughed. "I do love those."

"And no more running. Not when I'm with you." I leaned down and kissed her. "I'll see you soon, alright?"

"See you soon."

And I was off. As much as the thought of lying in the sun on a beach with the love of my life warmed my heart and kept me going, there was just something about the feeling of running faster than the speed of sound, the air, the wind on my face, the ground, the lightning, its power, the electricity pumping through my veins that was just exhilarating. There was nothing quite like it.

And of course, the journey ended with the usual flying of papers and me trying to skid to a halt without knocking over any tables.

"Sorry I'm late guys, I. . . probably just interrupted something very important, didn't I?"

I was met with Oliver, Steve, Natasha, and Tony sitting around a table along with two people I didn't recognize. They all wore grim expressions on their faces.

"Barry, this is Agent Watson from the FBI. And Secretary Ross," Tony said. I could see the conflict in his eyes.

"Oh! Uh, very nice to meet you, ma'am, sir, um-" I hastily pulled out a chair. "I'm gonna sit down now."

There was a moment of awkward silence. "So uh," I nervously played with the ring on my finger, "you both just saw me uh-"

"-whoosh in here?" Agent Watson finished for me. She gave me a smile that made me feel very uneasy. "Don't worry, Mr. Allen. Secretary Ross and I are already well aware of your activities as the Flash."

Okay, I was not expecting that. Well, I mean she is from the FBI, so maybe I should've expected it. But still.

I glanced at Oliver, trying to see how he wanted to play this. Unfortunately, the look he gave me wasn't very reassuring.

"Okay then. . ."