4. Irreconcilable Differences

Oliver's POV

"Agent Watson."

I had meant to say that in my most reasonable and appealing voice. I think it came out sounding more like I said it through gritted teeth.

Agent Watson sat across from me in the empty room next door from where the meeting was a few minutes ago. She had a smug and confident expression on her face. "I have waited a long time for this, Mr. Queen."

Honestly, it seemed like everyone in Star City had a vendetta against me or the Green Arrow. Or in this case, both. I'd never met someone so determined to out my secret identity as the Green Arrow before. Except maybe Quentin Lance, back when he still hated me.

Watson leaned forward and clasped her hands together. "So mark my word, no matter what consensus you and your vigilante friends come to, I will make sure you end up in jail."

I took a deep breath, choosing my words carefully. "Agent Watson, you are letting your vendetta against me cloud your judgment, and that is going to put a lot of people in danger.

She raised an eyebrow. "I am putting people in danger every single day I allow you to run around as the Green Arrow."

"You're making a mistake, Agent Watson."

"No, Mr. Queen, I don't think I am."

"Well then," I said, standing up. "I guess there's nothing else I can say here. I really should be getting back to my 'vigilante friends.'"

Watson gave me a smile that made me feel like she knew something I didn't.

"We'll be meeting again soon, Mr. Queen."

~~~

"Tony, if we sign this, the government WILL come after us given the opportunity, and that will essentially make my son an orphan which I will not allow!"

"Yeah? And what about all those people we dropped buildings on in Sokovia? There are kids who are orphans or DEAD because of us. We need to be put in check!"

I rubbed my temples, then folded my arms. We had been debating about the Accords for hours now with no solution to our problem. I took a deep breath before saying, "That was Ultron. Not us. Come on, Nat, back me up on this." I turned to her. "Nat?"

She seemed to be deep in thought. "Maybe Tony's right," she said slowly.

We all stared at her.

"I'm just reading the terrain," she continued. "We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win the government's trust back."

Tony spoke before I could reply. "Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?"

"Oh, I want to take it back now."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed. I win."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes, turning away from them. "Barry?"

He glanced up at the sound of his name. "I'm with you Oliver." He didn't elaborate, and I knew why. He'd just gotten married to the love of his life, and was supposed to be on his honey moon in a few days, and now he was facing a crisis that could possibly upend his entire secret identity as the Flash. He would never be able to stop running. Just like how I could never be the father William needed me to be if I was in jail because of my actions as the Green Arrow. Tony and Natasha didn't seem to quite understand that.

I finally turned to Steve. "Steve?"

He was fixated on something on his phone. He didn't seem to have heard me say his name.

"Steve?" I repeated. "Everything alright?"

"It's Bucky," he said, still staring at his phone. "I'm sorry. I have to go." And with that, he was gone.