fourteen

It took them a while to go back to normal after Tom accepted the fight against Adrian Flemming, but when they did, Tom felt like a piece of him came back to life. The only thing was, Y/N kept her distance from Tom while he trained, she still wanted nothing to do with him fighting the lightweight champion. Instead, she helped Harrison set up press conferences and meetings with potential sponsors, she and Harrison had become closer in the week they had been back from Las Vegas.

Y/N and Tom were back to sleeping in his bed together, Tom carrying her from the couch where she fell asleep, placing a soft kiss to her forehead as he tucked her into bed before moving in next to her.

One night, Tom decided to cook Y/N dinner while she had been out with Harrison all day getting ready for a charity event he was hosting. Harrison said it would be a good way to gather some good publicity after what happened in the lounge in Las Vegas.

She came home at eight o'clock with a heavy tote bag slung over her left shoulder and four three-inch binders in her hands, struggling to get through the door.

"How was your day, love?" Tom asked, popping his head into the hallway that led to the front door from the kitchen. He was wearing her white apron around his waist, tomato sauce streaks all over it where he wiped his hands off.

"Tiring." She said simply, dropping her keys and binders on the table next to the front door.

"I'm sorry, darling, why don't you go upstairs and get changed into something more comfortable, dinner'll be ready in a few." Tom said, walking toward her and placed a kiss to her lips, taking her bag off of her shoulder and placing it on the table next to her keys. She smiled weakly and nodded, trudging herself up the steep stairs.

Tom continued cooking the chicken parmesan, following the recipe his mom sent him down to the last detail, he'd already called her three times to make sure he was doing it correctly. He wanted everything to be perfect for Y/N, she deserved it.

When she came back downstairs in one of Tom's t-shirts and a pair of boxer shorts, Tom had just placed the two plates on the table, smiling at her as she sat at the table. He leaned over her shoulder and placed a kiss to her lips softly as she smiled.

"This looks lovely, Tom, but you didn't have to." She blushed, picking up her wine glass as Tom sat across from her.

"I wanted to, you do so much for me I wanted to show you how much I appreciate you." Tom smiled, clicking his glass with hers as they drank the dark red wine, staining their teeth.

"Harrison said that the charity event is coming along really well, he said you've really outdone yourself." Tom smiled at her as she began cutting into her breaded chicken.

"I guess, yeah, it's going well." She said, sticking a piece of chicken in her mouth, looking up at him, meeting his eyes that were already looking at her. They smiled for a moment and a silence took them over, a thought repeating in Tom's mind as he mulled over his food.

"I think you should stop working and go back to school." Tom said softly, a sad smile on his face, he knew this job was just tiring her out and she wasn't living her dream. "You've dreamt of being a teacher for so long I don't want to keep you from doing that."

"Tom, I don't have enough money right now for that."

"Yes you do, you can go to the community college on the other side of town, it's really cheap and it's got a great education department."

"I don't know, Tom, Harrison really needs my help and-" She shrugged, looking down at her full plate of food.

"Fuck Harrison, he doesn't need anything, this is your dream, darling, you need to grab it by the balls and make it come true. I'll be here every step of the way for you, okay?" He smiled at her, reaching his right hand across the table to take her hand.

"Okay." She whispered, intertwining her hand with his, looking at the way his hand fit hers like they were made for each other.

Two days later was the charity event, Tom was dressed in a black tuxedo and waited for Y/N to walk down the stairs. He watched her with wide eyes as she descended down the spiral staircase in her silver dress. She stood in front of him and bit her red lips, she placed a hand to his chin and pushed it up.

"Don't want to catch flies, babe." She laughed, pulling on his bow-tie, straightening it. He grabbed her hips and pulled her closer to him, pressing his lips to her neck.

"I can't wait to get those clothes off of you later." She chuckled at him before pulling back and placing her hands on his shoulders.

"Valiant effort, Tom, but I think I'm gonna be the one taking off your clothes later." She smirked at him, pinching his cheek before making her way to the garage.

The charity event was huge, everyone who was anyone showed up, from athletes to actors. People came up to Tom and Y/N congratulating him on his win in the championship. The entire night, Tom's arm was wrapped securely around her waist, holding her body close to his as people made conversation with the couple.

"Oh wow, Mr. Downey, I-I'm a big fan." Tom said as he pulled his arm away from Y/N to shake the hand of man in front of him.

"I'm a big fan of yours too, Tom, you really kill it out there in the ring." Robert said, nodding his head, after shaking Tom's hand, he placed his right hand back in his pocket, taking a sip of the white wine in the glass in his left hand. "And you must be the lovely Y/N, it's nice to meet you, dear." He smiled at you, leaning in for a hug and a kiss on your cheek.

"The pleasure is mine, Mr. Downey."

"Oh please, call me Robert, both of you." He laughed at the formalities and continued a light-hearted conversation with the two. By the end of the night, Robert had grown fond of the couple, making comments like, "I expect a wedding invitation soon", and "be safe later, you're still kids." These comments made Tom nervous because even though those were the kind of thoughts running through his head, he had no idea what was going on in hers. She would just laugh and agree half-heartedly. They didn't speak about the comments ever again.