eighteen

Tom was in the park walking Tessa at six in the evening when he saw her. It was as if time stood still around them as she sat at the park bench, notebook and pen in her hand, turning her head toward him. Tom's heart fell into his stomach when her eyes met his, it had been too long since he had seen her in real life, usually she was a figment of his imagination or in his dreams, but this, this was real.

She stood up and shoved her notebook in her large bag, walking slowly over to him. He met her halfway, only a few feet from the bench.

"Tom, oh my God, it's really you." She smiled as they stood there in silence for a moment, Tom studying her face.

"Y/N, wow, you look, incredible." Tom breathed as she looked down at their feet, Tessa pulling at the leash in Tom's hand.

"As do you. And is this Tessa?" Y/N asked, kneeling down next to the dog, petting her softly.

"Yeah, this is Tess, you finally get to meet her after all this time." Tom chuckled nervously as she looked up at him from her kneeling position. She stood back up after a moment, brushing off her knees.

"It really has been too long, Tom." She swallowed the lump in her throat before motioning to the bench behind her. "Wanna take a seat?"

"Y-Yeah, sure." Tom said and she led the way to the bench, he tied Tessa's leash to the arm of it and sat down.

"You definitely look better than the last time I saw you." Y/N laughed a little as Tom started to think about the last time he did see her.

It was two months after the fight with Adrian Flemming, and Tom had quit ultimate fighting altogether, hoping that she would come back. She didn't.

Tom had grown apart from his friends, he hadn't spoken to Harrison in a month and a half, and Chris was nowhere to be seen either. Tom spent his nights either in his room alone, or in the bar alone.

One night, Tom went to the bar just like he had done for the past week. Drinking away his thoughts of Y/N leaving, he sat at the old creaky bar stool of the tavern-themed bar, the old wood chipping off of the table in front of him. The only sounds were the soft chatter throughout the bar, the smacking of pool cues and the billiard balls hitting each other.

Tom wasn't sure what happened next, but something did, because the next thing he remembered was his head being shoved in a police car.

The mustached police officer took Tom to a cell in the precinct, unlocking his cuffs, Tom massaged his wrists, just like they did in the movies, when he noticed his knuckles were bloody, and his mouth tasted metallic. He used his only phone call to call the person who never left his mind.

"Hello?" she said she sleepily on the other end of the phone.

"H-Hi Y/N, it's Tom."

"What did I tell you about calling me in the middle of the night." Y/N said and he heard another voice mumble to which she whispered, " it's Tom."

"I know, I know, darling I promise this is the last time. I'm just, I need some help."

"Fine. What is it?"

" I got into a fight, I think, and they have me at the station and-"

"Okay, Tom, I'll be there." Y/N said, getting up from her bed, then went to the dresser and hung up the phone.

After 2 hours of pacing around the cell, the mustached officer opened his cell door, telling him that he had made bail.

Tom made eye contact with her standing in the middle of the precinct. Her hair was messy and her eyes were bloodshot and tired. Tom, on the other hand, looked worse. His hair was beyond messed up, dried blood in it his eye bruised and scabs were already forming on his lips.