epilogue

hi guys! i'm so glad you've taken the time to read my story! writing it was one of the best (and longest) experiences i've ever had. when i started writing it, i envisioned a story that people hadn't already read a million times. my goal in writing this was to capture the raw beauty in love and to show people what it really means to love and be loved.

i wanted to be a voice that put an emphasis on the importance of learning to love one's self. when writing this, i wrote as if tom was unable to love before he found true devotion. everyone in his life had left him in one way or another and it made it difficult for him to trust someone again.

both tom and y/n needed someone. they were stepping stones to their later lives. y/n was the one who truly loved tom, and always will, she's the reason he's not dead, basically. she helped him work through his grief and learn that he was worth the love she gave him.

however, i do believe that y/n also needed someone to take care of her and tom couldn't do that—the both of them knew this. they loved each other for as long as they could without hurting each other, those feelings would never go away. had y/n not left that night, tom would have never gone to a therapist and would have depended too much on y/n, which isn't healthy for either of them.

as for her husband: it is up to interpretation. i imagined when writing it that harrison was the husband because he could be there for her. i imagined that when she went to stay with him after leaving tom, she opened up and was able to realize she needed support too.

in my head, these characters transcend the pages i've written, they have their own lives now outside of this story. to me, tom finally worked through his grief and anger and hurt and was finally able to find love in another. though i don't believe either of them are in each other's lives, i think they are grateful for the experience they had and still care deeply about the other, and i think they're both very happy.

i hope you enjoyed the story! i thought i would maybe shed some light on this as the comments on the last chapter are crazy! i hope to one day maybe develop this further and see where the wind takes me. xx