4. The light of hope

The sun is up in the sky but the tension is at the highest level here. Nobody talks, we keep packing our stuff. Andrea is still with Amy, looking at her dead baby sister laying in the ground. I can't imagine how she feels. I don't know how I would react if I lose my little brother. She must feel terrible, powerless and empty that she didn't have time to do anything to save her. My mom, Carl, Shane, the members of the group that are still alive and I are either packing, burrying or burning the deads while my father is trying to contact a man that he met with his son before arriving here. I watch mom kneeing next to Andrea and talking to her. Mom's hand is going up and down Andrea's back. It looks like whatever we are trying to do to help Andrea, doesn't get anything. Andrea won't move until Amy wakes up. I'm actually scared for Andrea, I don't want her to die. I put my backpack in the van and listen to the group talking about the blonde.

- She still won't move? Questions dad while standing near mom.

- She won't even talk to us. She's been there all night. What do we do? Asks my mother concerned.

- Can't just leave Amy like that. We need to deal with it same as the others, comments Shane.

- I'll tell her how it is, says my dad before walking toward her.

I watch him trying to approach Andrea but she suddenly pulls a gun at him. I feel my breath getting cut in throat, scared that she would actually shoot my father. I step few times forward and stare at the duo feeling helpless.

- I know how the safety works, she tells to my dad, looking angrily at him.

- All right. Okay. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Whisper apologically my father. Dad backs off and comes back to the group. I walk to him and pass an arm around his back to hug him from the side.

- Y'all can't be serious, whispers angrily Daryl. Let that girl hamstring us? The dead girl's a time bomb.

- What do you suggest? Questions dad passing an arm around my shoulders as well while looking at everyone, one by one.

- Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance, answers the man with a crossbow as he walks madly around.

- No. For God's sakes, let her be, says my mom calmly but sternly at the same time.

 - Wake up, Jimbo. We've got some work to do, says Daryl to Jim. I walk to Jacqui who is taking clothes that were drying to help her pack faster. Morales and Daryl both drag the body of a dead camper toward the fire to burn it with the others.

- What are you guys doing? questions Glenn which makes me look at them and stop what I was doing. This is for geeks. Our people go over there, he says pointing at the opposite side.

- What's the difference? They're all infected, argues Daryl.

- Our people go in that row over there. We don't burn them! screams Glenn as he begins to cry. The Asian boy takes deep breathes to calm down. We bury them. Understand? Our people go in that row over there. Daryl sighs but still helps Morales drag the body toward a digging hole and throw it inside.

- You reap what you sow, warns Daryl to Glenn while dragging the body.

- You know what? Shut up, man, screams Morales to Daryl, sounding more than tired of the man's comment. This attacked is making everyone emotional and moody. Even I don't even know what to think. Beside that more people got killed and that they shouldn't have.

- Y'all left my brother for dead. You had this coming. Screams an upset Daryl. I let Jacqui finishing the clothes and go help Jim who seems to struggle to drag the bodies. I guess everyone is tired as well, mentally and physically. Jim and I pile up bodies one by one in the fire or in the tombs. I throw a new body when I notice blood on Jim's shirt.