Chapter 1: Millions of Miles Apart

Notes:

  Hi everyone! I'm new around here. I've been reading a lot of works and learned a lot from you guys! You are all awesome and I really appreciate everyone's writings.
This is my very first Supergirl fanfiction and I'm pretty excited to share it with you! I've been working on it for a months and have tried to put my best skills at story telling in it! I really hope you like it.  

________________________________________________________________________________

Thirteen year old Kara Zor-El looked out onto the Argo city skyline from her bedroom window as Rao was setting. She gazed pass the flying pods to the darker parts of the sky – the stars just starting to slowly appear – as she tried to find the constellations, just as her aunt Astra had taught her. A particularly bright red star caught her eye, and she easily recognized that it was not a star, but in fact the planet Daxam. Their infamous sister planet which she had never been to. Kara often wondered about Daxam, what the people there were really like, if they were as terrible as people described them to be, or if she would ever one day set foot on the planet. She remembered her studies clearly on the bloody history of wars between their planets, how the vengeance and anger had never fully disappeared, even after hundreds of years, Daxam was ruled by obnoxious tyrants while Krypton was proud and prosperous by its unshakable democracy.

Or so she believed. She was deep in thought when she heard her mother calling her.

"Kara. Why are you still awake, dear?"

"Mother! I was just looking at the stars."

Her mother was in her formal dress uniform as a judge. Clearly she had just returned home. Kara fondly took in her majestic sight and deeply sighed with proud. She really wished she could be as brave and strong as her mother was someday. She moved towards her and hugged her firmly, taking in her scent, and Alura rubbed Kara's back kindly in return. They stayed that way for a while, until Alura let go of her to look at her face.

"Something on your mind, daughter of mine?"

Kara bit her lower lip deciding whether to ask her questions or leave them. She took a deep breath before letting herself ask a question.

"Mother, why do we never go to Daxam? Are we still enemies?"

Her mother sighed and walked to sit on the edge of Kara's bed. She didn't say anything for a while, and Kara thought she wouldn't answer her, but kept waiting until Alura looked towards the window before looking at her daughter.

"No Kara, we are not enemies anymore, but old wounds are hard to heel. A wrong move and we would stumble back to more bloodlust and destruction. We do not fight anymore, but we keep our distance."

Her mother answered patiently as Kara moved to sit next to her.

"I wonder what it really looks like on Daxam."Kara exclaimed. Her mother caressed her hair and smiled.

"There are lots of pictures in the Archives. You can look at them next time you go there with your father."

Kara nodded excitedly as a list of ideas and questions were forming in her mind. Alura saw Kars's eyes light up with curiosity.

"Kara dear, it's time to sleep. You don't want to feel tired in the morning for your classes." Her mother urged her under the bed sheets and Kara reluctantly crawled under them, but couldn't stop herself from asking one last question.

"Mother, are there still kings and queens on Daxam?"

Alura rolled her eyes, but answered nevertheless. "Yes. Currently King Lar Gand and Queen Rhea rule Daxam."