Chapter 7: Kai Rand

How come of all days, Kai Rand had chosen this day to show up!?

Kara stared at him. His eyes turned from surprised to serious.

"Mr. Rand this bitch waitress is a spy!"

The man with the injured hand growled and came closer to push the barrel of his gun to Kara's head.

"Look what we found on her." The leader bitterly added.

And he showed Mr. Rand, Kara's device, he held in hand. Kara thought maybe she should deny or plead, but she just couldn't do anything. The throbbing pain in her head and the dread had made her mind to go blank and dizzy. She could only think about fighting. All the reasoning was gone. She only braced herself for what was most defiantly about to come.

"Oh there she is!"

Mr. Rand laughed as his face with beard turned into a delightful expression!

Of all the things she thought he would say this was never one of them. Apparently everyone else was as bewildered as she was.

"This is one of our new staff. I asked her to bring you a drink on the house!" Kai Rand smirked.

"But Mr. Rand! This device –"

The leader waved the device with the chain as if to remind him the evidence was still in his hand, but Mr. Rand simply dismissed it with a wave of his hand and rolled his eyes.

"Oh that's just our new technology to enhance the communication and ordering services around here! Here let me show you."

The wide eyed leader put the device in Mr. Rand's waiting hand. He received it and frowned at the man who was still holding the gun to Kara's head.

"And please move that away. There's no need for such drastic measures. This is all just a big misunderstanding."

The gun was immediately removed and Kara couldn't even move from surprise. Mr. Rand fumbled with the device and when it didn't respond to anything, he held it out to Kara.

"Here Marley show the gentlemen what it does."

Despite being momentarily shocked at him knowing her name, Kara took the device and skillfully turned it to its back side in her slightly trembling hands. This way her device would turn into the disguise mode and it turned on with red lights and beeped as it projected a small hologram above her palm, showing the history search as she slid her finger through it. Kara couldn't remember being this lucky in her entire life. She had searched to learn about various drinks since working at the bar in her free time and in this situation it all seemed like different drink orders in their eyes.

"SEE? No reason to be worried at all!"

Kai Rand chuckled as if this whole things was a prank and took the device from her to bring it closer for them to see more accurately. The disguise mode let the gadget to stay on far from her touch for a brief time.

The Men grunted and cursed and put their guns down. Mr. Rand only flashed them his brilliant smug smile and apologized further.

"You have to excuse her, she's new here and I apologize for any inconvenience she has caused."

All the admiration she had developed for Kai Rand for rescuing her, vanished instantly. Kara wanted so much to punch him in the face that moment. She had caused inconvenience?! How dare he ignore the insult that these dirty men had posed on her? How dare he just smile and humiliate her even more than she already had been.

Kara glared daggers at him while he was babbling on to distract the men and didn't even give her a glance. Then He tugged lightly at his cuff to straighten the wrinkles on his sleeve and cleared his throat.