Chapter 12: Tooth and Nail

this chapter is back to Kara's POV 

__________________________________________

Awareness came slowly back to Kara and gently awakened her senses. For a long moment she resisted opening her eyes, until she registered the rhythmic movement beneath where her head was resting. At first she was willing to ignore it. It actually felt soothing, lulling her back to sleep, but then the voice in her head nudged her to question the reason and she finally gave in.

Opening her eyes, Kara had to blink many times until she found out exactly where she was and it stunned her.

Kara couldn't believe her own eyes as she turned her head and looked at the face right above her head, thinking it might be a fragment of her dreams. She definitely was still asleep, because there was no way she would fall asleep in this man's arms!

The shock of the reality and memories from last night made her push against Kai's chest a bit harder than she meant to and felt backwards into the covers behind her, exposing them to the crimson rays of Rao.

"Grife! Did I fell asleep?"

Kara heard Kai groaning while trying to free herself from the thick speeder cover.

"Yeah. I think we both did."

She stood up hurriedly, praying to Rao that he wouldn't mention or even remember how they had slept through the storm.

Kai stood up tiredly and squinted against the light. His hand came up to scratch his head and Kara grimaced as he hissed when his hand touched the wound on the side of his head. It looked far more terrible in the light of day.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, you?"

"I'm fine."

"Then let's get going."

Kara didn't object and just followed him to find the speeder bike and by the time they got themselves back to the DEO they felt close to collapsing.

Winn brought them the first aids kit and they started tending to their wounds. To Kara's surprise they even had a stitching device that looked very familiar.

"Is that –"

"Yeah that was Lexie's. It's very handy."

Winn answered her question before she had even finished it in a pitched and nervous tone that confused her, but she had no time to worry about that when Alex's alias was mentioned. Kara turned her head only to meet Kai's gaze. She knew he was thinking the same thing.

"Where's J'onn?"

Kai asked with stern voice, while cleaning his head injury.

"He had to go out for some personal matters. He said he'd be back in a few hours."

Kara considered helping Kai with stitching his head wound, but Winn was faster. Maybe that was for better. Kara's cheeks felt hot as she remembered again the moment she woke up with Kai's arms wrapped around her protectively and her head burrowed into his chest. She felt so confused. She couldn't read or interpret it. Maybe keeping distance from him was a smart move. Kara knew well how attachments could ruin the kind of job she was doing.

"We need an express ship to Starhaven."

Winn looked at him questioningly. "Starhaven?"

"Lexie's cover is compromised. We saw them boarding her onto the ship and they're on their way to Starhaven as we speak! We shouldn't lose a moment because they aren't going to stay there long and if we miss them, we won't be able to find her again in time."