Chapter Three

September 6, 7:46 pm

I finished my homework around seven, then made myself some dinner. As I was eating, Isabelle came into the room.

I knew what she was going to ask me before she said it, so I kept my eyes on my phone instead of meeting her gaze.

After about five minutes of her staring at me, which was a bit uncomfortable, she said my name.

"Alec."

Slowly, I looked at her, knowing exactly which words were going to come out her mouth next. I was right.

"Have you called Magnus yet?"

Though I knew the question was coming, I couldn't stop myself from blushing.

"No."

"Have you texted him?"

"No, Isabelle. Stop."

"You need to talk to him. He really seemed to like you."

I shrugged as she continued. "I know you felt the same way."

"Leave me alone, Isabelle," I said. I cleared my spot and began to load the dishwasher. However, Izzy didn't plan to leave me alone.

"When are you going to call him?"

"I don't know if I will. I don't seem to be exactly his type," I replied, recalling all the makeup the other boy had been wearing.

Isabelle frowned. "Are you not into him?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, I mean, he was cute, but I don't think I'm ready for a relationship."

She sighed and crossed her arms. "Alec, you've only ever been in one relationship, and it was with Cecily Herondale in sixth grade before you even found out you liked boys."

"We don't talk about that," I said.

I finished loading the dishwasher and washed my hands.

"I'm going to my room," I told her.

Isabelle just got this look on her face and looked at the ceiling.

I looked at her, narrowing my eyes. "Isabelle, what are you planning?"

She cocked her head to the side. "Nothing, Alec. Why do you ask?"

I shook my head and walked into my room.

I spent the rest of my evening reading a novel. I was just about to try and get some shut eye when I heard a faint ringing coming from the living room.

With a sigh, I got to my feet and trudged into the living room. To my surprise, it was my phone. I must've left it out here.

I answered the call, though there was no caller ID. "Hello?"

"Hi, Alec."

I froze. That was Magnus's voice.

"H-hey, Magnus."

I could practically hear the smile in his voice. "You never answered my response to your texts."

"What texts?"

"Uh, you know, the ones from about an hour ago. You texted me and asked me if I wanted to go to dinner with you tomorrow night, and asked where I'd like to go and what time I'd be free."

I blushed. "Magnus, that wasn't me. That was probably my sister texting from my phone."

"Oh. Uh, I'm sorry." He sounded embarrassed and disappointed.

It was quiet for a moment before he said, "I should go."

"N-no, Magnus, wait."

Silence. I realized he was waiting for me to say something.

"Do you want to go on that date anyways?" I asked, thrumming my fingers on the table nervously.

"Yes," He said instantly.

I smiled. "Okay. Does Blackthorn's Pizza sound good?"

"Yeah." Magnus sounded really happy.

"What time can I pick you up?"

"6:45?"

"Okay. Can I have your address?"

He gave it to me, and I wrote it down on a sheet of paper.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow," He said. "I have work in the morning."

"Yeah," I replied. "I have school."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up, and was surprised to find myself smiling.

Sorry for my absence, as well as the short chapter. I've been busy, but I'm going to keep updating, I promise. I'm not sure if I like this chapter, so feedback is appreciated.