XXV. Beginning of the End

Mr. Leverett and I enter the hallway and are confronted with a peculiar scene. Mr. Adler Drysdale is held back by Joane who wears a murderous look as we disrupt the scolding she's giving him, her words hissing in his ears. Mr. Drysdale is not fighting back, letting the words wash over him as if he does not comprehend their meaning. Winnie Drysdale is sobbing silently a bit further away, under the scrutizing glare Cilia is throwing, her arm still supporting Griffin Carmody who's pressing a bloodsoaked cloth against his wounds. Farah watches carefully, ever so discrete from a distance.

At the sight of Mr. Leverett, Joane unclasps her fingers from Mr. Drysdales shirt, throwing him a last threatening look before she casually combs her fingers through her short blonde hair and walks back to where Cilia and Griffin are sitting on the steps of the staircase.

Unnerved by the scene Joane has caused, Mr. Leverett turns to me. His cold stare is vacant as he speaks "It was a pleasure doing business with you, Mrs. Whitacre. Now allow me to inform your companions." Without waiting for my approval of sorts, he merely turns around, spending time to examine everyone's faces before he continues.

"Everyone will leave this estate unharmed." He declares first, reminding me of his promise to protect my family. Could I trust this man? This man who went insane lengths just to have Reed and I out of the way?

Confusion spreads over the group waiting in the hallway. Joane speaks up first "You're letting us go? You caused us all this trouble to just come and pick up Reed and Annabelle's sister?" She sasses.

Mr. Leverett shakes his head "Not every battle is a bloody one, Miss Boudrot." He replies to which the murderous look returns on Joane's otherwise angelic face. "My father had to die for it, didn't he?" she snaps, each word laced with pure hatred solely directed to Mr. Leverett.

Remembering how he told me in the dining that Mr. Boudrot had deserved his early death, I wonder how Mr. Leverett will respond to the devastated descendant of the dead. Instead of answering, he looks to the right, where three figures make it to the hallway. Judy and Reed, with their hands bound behind their backs, are being pushed forward by Oriel Mcgoldnick, the man I figured who's related to my family.

With a devilish grin, he gives them a last shove before he waits for the next order of Mr. Leverett who merely instructs for them to be released.

Before their bondings drop onto the solid wooden floor, I lurch forward. Instinctly moving to Judy, I wrap my arms around my little sister, catching her sobs as she breaks down in relief. She shudders and shakes. Her breath comes out uneven and deeply. She smells of humid air and linen and somewhere in her hair, the honeysuckle smell of home still lingers. I caress her back, press her as close to me as I possible can, painfully aware that every moment with Judy, could be my last.

"You're safe, Judes." I whisper over and over again, rocking her ever so slightly as her fists clench my dress, her nose buries in the crook of my neck.

"I'm so scared, Anna." Her raspy voice cries. At the mention of my old nickname, before it turned to Belle, tears spring back into my eyes. How I will miss my little darling sister, I think as I hold her close, emerging myself in the sorrow of my future loss.

I don't realize how silent everyone around us has grown, until Judy's sobs subside and she pulls away from me. Her tear stained face still looks freightened but to my relief I notice a glint of hope, shimmering behind her tears.

"Are you fine?" I ask, placing both my hands on her shoulders and steadying her. Although tears are still running down her flushed cheeks, she nods.

I immediately turn around, ashamed that in all the commotion, my heart didn't think of Reed first. He stands there, awkwardly observing us. At the same time he's masaging his wrists, where red marks are clearly visible. His handsome face is disgraced by bruises and cuts. His shirt is stained and creased. His vivid eyes are covered underneath thick shadows.