Chapter eight

There was a soft knocking sound on the Shelby's door. John got up and smirked knowing very well who it was. He opened the door and raised an eyebrow. Ophelia stood there smiling softly at him. She was beautiful he thought to his self. "Please come in" he said taking the basket away. "Thank you" she said smiling.

He showed her into the house and brought her where the other Shelby's where held. Tommy looked up from his paper. His eyes travelled up her body till they set on her face. She had a smile on her face that brightened up the room. "Ophelia its wonderful to see you again". Polly said hugging her softly. "The pleasure is all mine meeting you again Miss Shelby". Polly raised her hand and said. "Please call me Polly".

Ophelia smiled and nodded her head. Her eyes drifted to Tommy. His magnetic blue eyes locked with hers. She smiled at him and turned to Ada as she said. "I adore your dress please tell where you got it from". Ophelia smiled sadly and said. "It was my mother's she left it at my aunts house". Ada frowned slightly knowing now why Ophelia smiled sadly.

   "Dinner is ready". Polly shouted from the kitchen. Ophelia smiled at Arthur as he stood beside her. "And how is my favourite nurse this fine evening". She let out a small laugh that was music to people's ears. "I'm perfectly fine thank you. And how is your hand?" She asked. He looked down at it and shrugged. "I've had worse". She smiled at him as he took his place at the kitchen table.

  Ophelia sat in between Ada and Finn. Thomas had sat in front of her. Her eyes drifted up from her plate to him. She didn't no why but she felt this pull towards him. "This dinner is wonderful Polly". Ophelia said. Polly smiled at her and said her thanks. "So Ophelia tell me a bit about yourself". Polly asked. Ophelia looked up from her dinner to see everyone looking at her. She placed down her fork and wiped her mouth with her napkin.

   "Well I was born in Birmingham but my mother and father didn't want to stay, they wanted bigger opportunities so they left when I was a year old. We settled in London and my father had a good job. At the time it was my brother Bradley and I, but then are mother fell pregnant with my brother Harry. Her and my father wanted him to be born in Birmingham, it was some silly little thing they liked. They where both born here as well as Bradley and I. Soon Charlie came along and we where a happy family. That's when the war broke out, my father and Bradley both went of to fight in the war alongside my cousin William. I volunteered to do nursing, to help those who where injured. Unfortunately both Bradley and William died. My father survived but he wasn't the man I knew when he returned. A few months ago my father and mother died. The car they where in crashed, they both died on the scene. Since then I've been looking after my brothers and we moved back to Birmingham to be with are aunt and uncle".

   Everyone was silent in the room when she was finished. Ophelia smiled and said. "Enough about that though would any of you like my aunts pie". Tommy could see the pain through her smile as she wanted to forget about what happened. "Why thank you, I'll cut it dear". Polly said going over to the counter. Ada and Finn collected the dirty plates. Ophelia went to help but Ada said. "Please your our guest". She nodded and sat back down.

  It was quiet at the table. Arthur decided to break the silence. "So that's how you know first aid, both Thomas and I where in that war you know". He said. Tommy's jaw clenched at the sound of his name. He always preferred to be called Tommy. He also hated the war being mentioned. "Its great to know that you served well for your country it shows what noble men you are". Ophelia said smiling. Arthur smirked at her and said. "You no what I really like you". Ophelia smiled at him looking over at Polly who handed her a slice of pie.

Tommy quietly ate his pie appreciating how good it tasted. Everyone got into a conversation after dinner except Tommy. He went into the kitchen and poured himself a glass of whisky. He rubbed his eyes and made his way back in to see Ophelia saying goodbye to everyone. "I'll walk you home I need to meet someone anyway". He said finishing his drink. Polly secretly smiled to herself that her nephew was at least a gentleman. 

Ophelia clutched her basket and left with Tommy. "Your family are lovely". She said smiling. He nodded his head in agreement. Ophelia bit her lip and said. "I'm sorry about your friend Danny". Tommy looked at her. Of course only he and the family knew he was alive as well as Danny's. Everyone else thought he was dead. "Its a shame he was very nice". His thoughts where broken by Ophelia talking.

"He was indeed". Tommy replied lighting his cigarette. He offered her one but she declined. She smiled softly at him when they reached her front door. "Thank you for the lovely evening Mr Shelby". She said. Tommy sighed. "Call me Tommy". He knew she was just being polite but he hated being called Mr Shelby all the time. He didn't mind it when he was walking down the road or entering a building, but with her he didn't like it.

  "OK Tommy, goodnight". She said smiling. She lightly bowed and opened the door. She gave him one last smile before shutting the door. Tommy sighed to his self and walked away into the dark night.