spitfire

spitfire; 

1) a person with a fierce temper.

2) British single-seat used by the Royal Air Force and other allied countries before, during and after World War II. 

-----------------------------------------------

After the kiss Alex and Ava shared a lot of yelling was heard from the deck and an explosion came, not far away from the ship that they were on. The ship started to move away from the now burning oil as fast as it could. 

They have gotten this far and they were going back home not wanting to die right now. Alex and Ava sat down onto the floor, Alex wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to sit in between his legs. Suddenly one last soldier came below deck, Tommy. The young boy made it out alive. 

His breathing was heavy and he also was covered in oil. He sat down and leaned his head against the wall trying to calm his breathing. Alex and Ava both looked towards the boy, his gaze wondering around the small room. 

Tommy's gaze landed on the two and he gave them a small smile and then nodded his head as an thank you for Alex. Alex wrapped his arms tighter around Ava and hid his face into her neck. Ava smiled towards Tommy and nodded her head at him.

She leaned back into Alex even more and put her hands on top of his, seeking the warmth after being in the cold water for far too long for anyone's liking. Another fit of loud yelling came from the deck and the boat tilted slightly. 

All of the soldiers and the nurse looked towards the ceiling, in fear of going down again. The soldiers gripped the straps of their life jackets and looked closely on the ceiling, hoping and praying they would not go down again.

Suddenly the ship jerked to the other side whilst shots were fired but none of them hit the boat. You could see everyone ease up and and let out a breath in relief, whilst some let out some cheers.

The whole boat ride back to England was longer than anyone wanted it to be. They wanted it to be short as possible but it seemed like a life time, all they wanted to do was get back home and off of the sea.

Alex suddenly started to move behind Ava and got up. He turned around putting his hand for her to take an hold of. She did with her eyebrows furrowed, making Alex smile the widest he had smiled since the war started. Tommy was the first to climb the stairs up to the control room, Alex and Ava following him.

"No, stay downstairs, please." The boy said at the trio. Ava looked past Alex towards the boy making his gaze snap towards her. "We just want to see the cliffs." She said to him, making the boy nod his head, Ava sending him a grateful smile.

They looked towards the cliffs in the distance, that seemed much bigger than any of them had remembered on the first day they had left to Dunkirk. "Is it Dover?" Tommy asked, keeping his gaze on the cliffs. 

"No. That's Dorset." The kid behind them said making the three glance and him and then back towards the cliffs. "But it's home." The kid continued making Ava slowly turn her gaze towards Alex, who still looked at the cliffs in front of them.