newspaper

newspaper; 

1) a printed publication (usually issued daily or weekly) consisting of folded unstapled sheets and containing news, articles, advertisements, and correspondence. "all the newspapers carried the story"

2) the organization responsible for producing a particular newspaper. "Ms Henry joined the newspaper 10 months ago"

--------------------------------------------------------

The sleep of the three was interrupted by the brakes of the train squeaking and the train stopping fully. Ava opened her eyes and glanced at Alex who was waking up also and then looked at Tommy, who already was awake. 

She furrowed her eyebrows and looked outside seeing that they weren't at a station yet. She quickly got up and stood on the seat, Alex moving away from her way. She opened the window and looked towards the two young boys.

"Hey!" She yelled making them both look up at her, whilst squinting their eyes trying to see her properly. "Where are we?" She yelled at them making the boy furrow his eyebrows and look at the other and then back at her.

"Siding. You'll be pulling in in a minute." The boy said whilst looking towards the station and then at her. "What station?" She asked making the kid look again at his friend and then back at the girl.

"Woking." He said in a sassy tone making the girl roll her eyes at the kid. "Kiddo don't be sassy with me. Grab me one of them papers." She yelled at him. The kid hesitated slightly making Ava do a hand movement at him making him move towards the papers and take one out.

He ran towards the train and stood on the wheel lifting the paper as high as he could so Ava could reach it and read it through. "Thanks." She said to the kid and sat down onto the bench again and opened the newspaper when the train started to move again.

She looked at the front page seeing Winston Churchill's speech with a headline that said; 'CHURCHILL ADDRESSES DUNKIRK EVACUATION IN COMMONS'. Ava couldn't bear it so she put the newspaper onto the table, and looked up at Tommy.

"Can't bear it. You read it." She said and pushed the paper towards Tommy. "Can't bear it?" Tommy asked from Ava and she looked down at her lap to her intertwined hands, whilst trying not to look out of the window.

"They'll be spitting at us in the streets. If they're not locked up waiting for the invasion." Alex said and took an hold of Ava's hands when she started to play with her fingers, having her nerves wrecked about the reaction of the people in England. 

Tommy sat up straight and took the newspaper into his hands, letting out an deep sigh and started to read it out loud.  

"Wars are not won by evacuations." Someone knocked on the window next to Ava and didn't stop knocking on it. "But there was a victory inside this deliverance, which should be noted." Tommy continued but what made Ava and Alex look towards the window was something clinking against it, seeing that the man held two beer bottles. Alex quickly stood up and grabbed the other for himself and the other for Ava. 

The older man handed one more to Alex who handed it to Ava who put it in front of Tommy, with a smile, whilst Alex kept his head out of the window, smiling at the people.

"Our thankfulness at the escape of our army, must not blind us to the fact that what has happened in France and Belgium in a colossal military disaster. We must expect another blow to be struck almost immediately." Tommy stopped for some time and took an sip out of his beer bottle and then continued to read.

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost--" Tommy was stopped by Alex. "What?" Tommy glanced up at him and then back at the paper.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." Tommy said whilst Alex kept given food. 

"and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old." Tommy finished it and looked up at Alex and then put the paper onto the table folding it neatly.

Ava smiled at Tommy, a real smile after a long long time. She looked up at Alex who turned to look at the two with an own smile of his on his face. Tommy smiled also at the two and then looked out of the window. 

"We're home."