Chapter 1: Stupid House-elf

I can honestly say that I miss my magical school, Hogwarts. Sitting here in this small room that I share with my brother in the Dursley residence makes me realize how boring life is without magic. Life is boring when you have only one thing to look forward to and that one thing is so far away. If waiting for school isn't boring enough, it is even more boring when for some strange reason none of your friends are contacting you. This is what I am dealing with and from glancing to my left, I can only assume that my big brother is also feeling like this. The Dursleys have gone back to their old ways of being mean to my brother and me, but now they mostly ignore us. I can't decide if this is better or worse than before. Uncle Vernon took all our magical stuff and locked it in the cupboard underneath the stairs when we arrived home from school. He even went so far as putting a lock on Hedwig's cage. So, even if our friends did send us letters we wouldn't be able to reply to them, anyway.

"Big brother? Why haven't we gotten any letters from our friends?" I ask him through the mind link and my mind's voice sounds sad to the point that I want to cry. Did they forget about us? Were we even friends? Draco told me that he would write to me during the summer, but I haven't received anything throughout this whole break. Was he lying to me? Nobody has even sent anything for our birthday. Harry's arms wrapping around me makes me realize that I'm crying. This whole situation with my friends never really bothered me until today.

"I don't know why they haven't sent us any letters, but maybe they are just really busy. For now, let's not think about that, and let's think about how we're going to Hogwarts soon," he says while trying to get me to smile. Just the thought of going back to that magical school makes me smile, and I try to wipe away the tears that are still escaping my eyes. Wanting the tears and sadness to stop, I grab the photo album that Hagrid gave us and start to flip through it while leaning against Harry's shoulder. I stop at the first picture in the album which is the picture of our mom, dad, toddler me, and toddler Harry. Sometimes I wish that we could go back to that time because we looked so happy.

I must have been looking at that one picture for too long because Harry gently turns to the next page. Nostalgia washes over my sadness when I realize that the next picture is of Harry with his two friends: Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley, also known as the Weasel. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a small smile on my brother's lips and a small smile appears on my lips as well. It always makes me happy when my brother is even the slightest bit happy.

This time, I turn to the next page and a huge smile breaks through all my emotions. Like the other one, this picture is of me with my two friends: Hermione and Draco Malfoy. Oh, Godric! I miss my friends so much, but I am going to believe what Harry said and think that they must be super busy. Draco and Hermione are smiling towards the camera while my picture self is on repeat with putting my arms around their shoulders with a smile on my face. I can't wait to have those kinds of memories again.

Before we can move onto the next page, a screeching sound startles us into looking up from the book. The snowy barn owl, Hedwig, is fluttering her wings inside the cage which makes the cage rattle from the movement. A frown appears on my lips at the thought that she can't spread her wings and fly.

"I'm sorry but we can't let you out, Hedwig," Harry says and the owl screeches back at his words, "We're not allowed to use magic outside of school," this only seems to upset her more because she starts to bite the lock with her beak.

As my brother starts to say something, we hear our uncle yell our names from downstairs. Gulping slightly, I look over to my left and notice that my brother doesn't look happy either. He sighs as he grabs the book from my lap and places it back on our desk. Harry moves back over to me and holds out his hand. Defeated, I grab his hand and head towards the white bedroom door because Uncle Vernon does not like to be kept waiting.