Chapter 8: Things Do Get Better

NOTE: Bold = Anastasia's written response Slanted = Anastasia's mind-link response

Thankfully, Hermione and I made it to class before the final bell rang. Walking into the classroom, I quickly notice that there are only two seats left in the very front. Hermione drags me to the desk before pushing me into one of the seats. Slightly chuckling at her behavior, I straighten myself while grabbing my supplies out of my satchel. Right as I finish putting my books onto the desk, I hear the door to Goldilocks office open and I quickly look up.

Mr. Lockhart steps out of his office, and a blush instantly appears on my face. Looking around, I quickly notice that every girl has either a dreamy look or a blush, like me. Quickly, I turn back to the teacher as I hear him starting to speak. Unfortunately, I can't hear anything coming out of his mouth as I continue to just admire him. This man is basically a hero! He has multiple books of his heroism and it is nearly impossible to not form a crush on such a hero!

Snapping out of my day dream, I notice that Goldilocks is handing out what looks like a test and I immediately start to worry. Why is he giving us a test on the first day of class? Is it a test to see what we remember from last year? Or is it on his books? As I continue to squirm in my seat, Hermione finally hands me the test and a sigh of relief escapes me as I read over the paper. Confusion slightly fills me as I read over the questions, which are all about him. None of these questions have anything to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he must have a reason for this test. Maybe, he is using this test to see if any of the students have read the books that were on the list. Nodding, I quickly answer all of the questions that I remember from the books, and I stand up before handing him my test. Sitting back down, I start to relive my terrible morning. I don't mean to be an attention seeker! Sure, I always got to my friends when I'm having problems without trying to solve them on my own, but that doesn't mean I'm an attention seeker. It just simply means that I crave comfort and want someone to, lack of better words, be the leader. Honestly, I think it is because Harry and I had to take care of the Dursleys without ever being given a single hug.

Hermione moving from her seat brings me out of my sorrow, and I watch as she hands her test to the teacher before sitting next to me again. She gives me a look that let's me know that she hasn't forgotten about our earlier incident. Sighing, I shake my head and try to look away from her, but she grabs my arm, which makes me look at her in surprise. My friend grabs a quill and paper before shoving them at me. Tears starts to fill my eyes while I shake my head again. I DON'T WANT TO BE AN ATTENTION SEEKER!!!

Thank Salazar for Mr. Lockhart, because he starts to speak to the class which makes Hermione turn her attention to him. Sighing, I turn to listen to him as he chastises the class about their lack of correct answers. I laugh slightly as he talks about how only two of us knew that his favorite color is Lilac. Sighing, he congratulates me and Hermione for knowing every single question on the test. Smiling bashfully, I turn my face towards the desk, so he doesn't see my blush.

He walks over to his desk that has a large covered object on top of it. Goldilocks takes out his wand before looking at us with the most serious look that he can give.

"Now, I must warn you that my job is to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizard kind," he says and taps the object that is shaped like an owl's cage with his wand. The object starts to shake and the sound of something hitting metal becomes prominent. Goldilocks takes no notice of the noise and continues his speech. "You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Just know that no harm will befall you whilst I am here." He grabs the top of the cover and gives us one finally warning, "I must ask that you don't scream, because it might provoke them."