Chapter 6 - Almost

SONG: My Immortal by Evanescence
__________

...Logan...

The night had gone off without any major catastrophes and now, once again, we stood face to face in front of her door.

"Thank you, for a wonderful evening." Arabella turns around and slides her key into the lock.

"I meant what I said," I whispered as hands clutched her waist.

"Please, I asked you to stop." It was almost a beg but she leaned into his chest - she was fighting our connection.

"Your mouth says one thing but your body says another." My lips graze lightly across the crook of her neck, goosebumps erupting involuntarily below my heated flesh.

"No..." A pathetic attempt at denial falls flat.

"I meant what I said Arabella, it can be our little secret." I could feel her becoming weaker, unable to turn me down, I didn't want to be a secret but at this stage, I would do anything to have her.

"I-I I'm sorry, Mr McCarlock." She had turned me down - she had disappeared through the small ajar door and closed it behind her as my heart sunk.

... Arabella, you break my heart, Logan x...

I texted her before leaving in frustration and headed for my empty, loveless home.

Walking into my beachfront villa, I grabbed the scotch bottle on my way up to my room. Why does she deny something that feels so right? Because of him? A man that will never love her? If a man truly loves a woman, he would spend every last minute attempting to be with her - make her happy. He would move heaven and earth for her alone, so why does she stay?

Vexation boils over as I slip out of my tux... I will not give up.

_______

The following days at work were excruciating, Arabella made every attempt to be professional and keep out of my way, ensuring there was no unnecessary contact. I certainly was not enjoying this rejection. I wanted her, more than she realised and I could tell she felt the same, I had to get her alone.

Striding up to her desk, I catch her staring into space.

"Arabella, are you okay?" She slightly jumped as I knocked her from her thoughts.

"Y-y yes sir," she mumbled through wide eyes.

"I have an important meeting tonight, will you be able to attend with me? I need you to email and type up anything I hand you."

"Umm... tonight?" Her chest rises and falls rapidly and her hand palms her forehead - a clear signal she was looking for an excuse.

"Yes, I just got the phone call. It would work faster if we were a team."

She sigh's dejected, "sure Logan."

"Good, we'll take my car straight from here," I leave before she can process or refuse my request.

I had gotten her on false pretences but I will use it to my full advantage. Pulling up to my beach house, her hands fiddled nervously in her lap as she raked her lip harshly through her teeth.

"Logan, this is not a meeting is it?" I exhaled heavily before exiting - it was now or never. Walking to the passenger's side and opening hers only to met with sad eyes.

"No, it's not Arabella, I just wanted to have dinner with you but you have been resisting me."

"You know the reason, Logan."

"Yes, I do. However, you are clearly not being appreciated, so it's time to show you exactly what you can have."

I leaned forward placing my forefinger and thumb on her chin, tilting her face up towards mine. I gently closed the distance between us, lightly brushing our lips together. I held my lips still against hers as I wait for her response, after only a short moment, I felt her lips push back against mine.