~15~

"welcome. what do you want?"

yoongi sighed with exasperation and laid his head upon the cool steel counter top. a few clocks ticked away in his ears as the silence fused with the warmth of the small coffee shop.

"jimin," he started, yanking at any patience left, "treat our future customers like old friends instead of annoyances."

jimin leaned his elbow on the opposite side of the counter and played with his mousy brown hair, the old dye grown out and left behind. "that's how i treat old friends."

yoongi opened his mouth to object but, realizing he was right, his thin lips slapped shut. he tried to frown, but yoongi just couldn't.

laughing softly, he reached over and adjusted jimin's black apron with knotted fingers. the other just let him fix it while he messed with his brown locks, the slightest smile upon his plump lips.

the two had graduated high school hand in hand with taehyung and jungkook. all four best friends accepted their diplomas together, a gift from the principal to tae.

yoongi blushed as he remembered how jimin had grabbed his face and kissed him in the center lights of the gym, earning them shouts and cheers from all the students. jungkook had tried to do the same but taehyung had scurried off the stage in embarrassment. which led to kook cackling and chasing him outside and tackling him in a bear hug in the sweet grass.

four years later, jimin and yoongi had designed their own coffee shop: unwelcome lonesome. a place in new york city where any person can step through the door and be treated as a long lost friend. a place full of jokes and a push forward for anyone who might need it.

simple dark oak tables dotted the black and white checkered tiles as the light wood walls sported art work of all kinds and an array of cuckoo clocks.

the front counter was shiny steel with bar stools and windows stocked with sweet treats and flower accents. the back wall was red brick with a large chalkboard where a certain artist sketched out their many drink selections, ranging from black coffee to sugary creations. a few funny faces dotted the menu, much to jimin's dislike, but neither yoongi nor himself were tall enough to swipe at the crude drawings.

"it adds to the aesthetic?" yoongi had shrugged uncertainly, earning him a swat on the shoulder.

a high bar at the very back was set against a ceiling high bookshelf that reached from wall to wall. a rainbow of book spines greeted anyone who wished to sit to use the convenient chargers, read, or even sketch with the sketch paper and pencils provided.

the scent of roasted coffee beans and baked goods lingered in the orange lighting of the shop, creating a warm, inviting atmosphere.

jimin and yoongi had put their whole hearts into this shop, designing it to their exact vision.

and then the opening day came about.

"you ready?" yoongi asked jimin excitedly, grinning with his tongue between his teeth cheekily.

and then jimin, smiled, ear to ear, his eyes curling from utter joy. it felt so good to smile, jimin had realized finally. he had missed it so much. he had never had a reason to smile, until yoongi gave him one on a silver platter: himself. now he smiled more than he ever had.

"fuck yeah."

yoongi cupped jimin's scarlet, warm cheek in his hand sweetly before pulling out his phone and scrolling through his contacts.

"i'll give pure of heart a call to see what those two are up to today."

"those idiots better be here, we're a team."