Chapter 13: Realisation

Selina held the door open for Steve, "Are you sure you don't want me to carry anything?" Steve walks out of the pet shop onto the street, "Honest, I'm fine. I'm happy too." Selina rolls her eyes, laughing, "You are always the gentleman." Steve looks over towards Selina and tilts his head to the side, "At least I'm not a crazy cat lady." He laughs holding up the many bags of cat food, proving his point.

They are walking down the street, having a pleasant conversation. Coming up to a crossroad, Steve presses the button so they can cross. Waiting patiently, they hear a loud bang. Steve instantly drops the bags and wraps his arms around Selina and pushes up against a wall, so his body and the wall are shielding her. Selina looks up at him, "I'm alright. Can I move away from the wall now?" He looks around observing his surroundings, "I'm sorry. It's just..." Selina interrupts Steve before he could finish, "I know. You haven't been the same since I found you in the roof of City Hall. I don't know what Scarecrow showed you, but I can tell it's been on your mind." Steve steps away from the wall and gives her breathing room. She pats him on the shoulder, "It was only a car backfiring, we are not in the richest part of Gotham." Steve laughs nervously and runs his hand through his hair, "Ready to go home?" Selina nods and smiles reassuringly.

Walking through the door to Selina's apartment, Steve walks straight to the kitchen. Placing the bags on the counter, two furry felines jump on the side next to him. Midnight jumps in the bags to investigate and Pearl meows at Steve. Laughing in amusement, Steve feels something rub against his leg. He looks down to see Jasper staring at him then staring at the bags. Selina leans on the doorframe and smiles, "I think they want feeding, it's been ages since they have eaten." Steve raised an eyebrow, "It's been four hours." They laugh together at the hungry cats messing with the bags.

After a short while, Selina grabs the bowls and places them on the counter while Steve opens the pouches. Mashing the food up with a knife and fork, Selina turns to Steve, "If you don't mind me asking. What did you see?" Steve places the empty pouches in the bin and turns to face Selina. He takes in a deep breath, "I saw everyone I care about die. I saw my old team, The Avengers, all dead. I couldn't stop it. It was all my fault." Selina places a hand on his shoulder, "It wasn't your fault. They are all still alive. They're just really far away." Steve nods and watches Midnight jump on the side to eat her food. Selina places the bowls down for the other two. Steve leans on the counter and looks down at the floor, avoiding eye contact, "I saw you and Harley get killed. I couldn't stop it." Selina's eyes widened with surprise, not realising how much he actually cares for her. She clicks the kettle on and turns to Steve, "We are both alright. Would you like a coffee?" Steve nods, "Thanks. I will not let that happen while I'm still breathing." Selina looks at Steve with care in her eyes. She thinks to herself how he has grown on her the past three months and how he has always been there for her, knowing that he will not let her down. Steve notices that Selina has suddenly gone quiet, "Is everything alright?" She nods, "I'll grab some cups from the cupboard and I'll appreciate it if you grab the sugar." Steve smiles and rummages through the cupboards for sugar. Selina laughs quietly to herself, "It's the one above the toaster." Steve nods and hands it to Selina. Pouring the hot water into each cup, she starts to think why someone would care so much for her. Out of curiosity, she asks Steve, "Why do you care so much for me?" Steve looks at her in amazement, "You haven't had someone care for you before? You are an independent woman who cares deeply for animals and children. And you've done nothing but help me so of course I do." Selina smiles and hands him the coffee cup. Steve downs it in one go, "I'm going to get changed." Selina stares at him in shock, "Didn't that burn?" Steve shakes his head and walks off.

Sitting on the sofa, waiting for Steve. After about ten minutes, Steve walks out in uniform. Selina raises an eyebrow in confusion, "I thought you were changing into some comfys or something. I didn't realise you are going out this evening." Steve looks down at his uniform, "It helps me focus on what is important in life. I feel better when I keep busy, keeping my mind at bay for a while. Also, Gotham needs a man like me to protect it from daily crime." Selina folds her arms, "I think Gotham can survive one night without you. Why don't you watch a film with me instead?" He sighs loudly with relief, "I guess it would be nice to relax one evening." She smiles, "You might want to get into something comfy, unless you prefer to watch films in style." Steve laughs, "I think comfy would be best."

After another ten minutes, Steve walks out in grey sweats and hoodie. Selina presses play on the DVD player. There was a beep in the kitchen, he heads towards the sound with caution. Selina glances over at him, "The microwave is safe, it's only popcorn." Steve laughs nervously and goes to grab the popcorn. Getting comfy on the sofa, Selina grabs a blanket and wraps her legs in the warm soft fabric. She hears a meow. Looking down, she smiles to see Jasper looking at her with big green eyes. Selina picks him up and places him on her lap. Steve walks back in with a bowl of popcorn to see a very happy Jasper getting attention. He sits down next to her, "Have I missed anything?" She shakes her head, "Only the trailers."

Staring at the screen, Steve was trying to figure out the plot to the movie. Watching the people have a funny, but awkward conversation in a restaurant. Turning to Selina, "What's the film about?" Still watching the screen, she smiles, "If you are interested, that means you like it. It's a Rom-Com which stands for a Romantic Comedy." Steve nods in understanding, "Another genre that can make people happy." Selina laughs, "Always thinking of others."

Wiping the tears from his face, he felt overwhelmed with emotions. Steve watches as the man stands on a lawn mower with a boombox outside the window of the girl that he likes. He couldn't understand why he was so overwhelmed, thinking about asking Selina, he looked down, noticing she had fallen asleep on his shoulder with Jasper still on her lap. Smiling to himself as he watches her sleep for a few minutes turns to Jasper, "We have so much in common, we make Selina fall asleep." Jasper replies with a stretch and a loud meow. She sturrs to the sudden noise, but relaxes again soon after. Whispering to Jasper, "That was close."

The movie plays for a few more minutes when the credits start to role. Jasper jumps down and walks towards the kitchen. Now that Jasper was out the way, Steve decides to pick up Selina and take her to her bedroom. Placing her down on the mattress, he covers her with the durvet and brushes hair out of her face. He smiles as she looks so peaceful sleeping, thinking to himself how beautiful she is. Steve leaves Selina's room and sits back on the couch, running his hand through his hair, now knowing why he felt so stirred up inside. He liked Selina, he felt conflicted inside, because he still loves Harley.