Paris

The Chainsmokers define "Paris" as "a sentimental yearning for a reality that isn't genuine" and "an irrevocable condition for fantasy that evokes nostalgia or day dreams." The band also tells us that "Paris" is about "searching for something that isn't real and hiding from the truth of what one's life is." The duo also explains that "Paris" is a metaphor for "that place you go to where everything's okay. It's subjective. It's where those who don't understand you don't exist."

* * *

If we go down
then we go down together.
They'll say you could do anything.
They'll say that I was clever.
If we go down
then we go down together.
We'll get away with everything.
Let's show them we are better.

Paris by The Chainsmokers

~oOo~

October 1998

Harry swears through the piece of toast clamped between his teeth as he rushes up the staircase, hoping the bloody thing doesn't suddenly change directions. He's already late enough as it is. Advanced Transfiguration. McGonagall is going to have his hide.

"Stupid Ron." He grumbles, viciously taking a huge bite off his bread and chewing angrily.

He and Ron had quite the spectacular row the previous evening. Because of Malfoy. Or rather because of 'Harry's unhealthy obsession with Malfoy', according to Ron. Harry purses his lips, recalling how Ron had accused him of stalking Malfoy all over school like he did back in Sixth Year and Harry had reacted rather badly at that. Thus, the resulting fight and the reason why his own best mate didn't bother waking him up for class this morning.

Harry stuffs the remaining piece of toast into his mouth, frowning. Ron just doesn't get it. Harry thinks defensively. He is most definitely NOT stalking Malfoy. He's just trying to protect the git. Harry didn't speak up at Malfoy's trial (to keep the prat out of Azkaban) just for the Slytherin to end up as some sort of punching bag at Hogwarts.

Harry grits his teeth, feeling the now familiar rise of anger heat his skin. He didn't fucking die and come back to life just for the same old bullshit to happen all over again. Malfoy may have made some seriously wrong decisions during the War but the pointy git didn't have much of a choice either. Fate had simply dealt Malfoy the shittiest of cards. He sure as hell doesn't deserve to be beaten nearly half to death by the very same people who supposedly stood at the good and righteous side of the bloody War. Fucking hypocritical lot. It makes Harry's skin crawl that these people actually believe they're doing Harry a favor by bullying Malfoy to within an inch of his life.

Harry hasn't caught them yet though. So far, after the last attack on Malfoy—the one that had put him in the Hospital Wing for nearly a week; the one that Hermione had uncovered after she had found Malfoy bloodied, bruised, broken, and unconscious—there has been no further incidents.