Twenty Six

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

As Wolfe and Bear explain the situation the best they can to the family gathered downstairs Archer has free rein of the manor. He creeps upstairs and stops outside his wife's temporary room. He quietly turns the handle and pushes open the door. Archer steps into the room and a smile hides behind his lips at the sight of his wife.

He had known his gut was right. He knew that something just did not quite add up right with the situation. Arisxandre stands before him, a clean dress on without any blood. She does not appear faint or pale. She is not injured, for if she was Logan would never have allowed her to rise. Archer shuts the door behind him, audibly making it bang. She jumps and turns, her eyes widening. Upon seeing him her hand goes to her stomach. She realises she is too late and her hand lowers and she opens her mouth to explain. He shakes his head once and her mouth snaps shuts. He hides his emotions and thoughts well behind his stony mask. She does not know what he is thinking.

He stalks across the room towards her. Unconsciously she takes steps back until she hits the wall. Archer stops before her and places his hands against the wall on either side of her head, caging her in. Ari smiles slightly and tilts her head up to look him in the eye. "Careful darling, if I was anybody else that might have had the power to make me swoon," she teases. Archer laughs the sound low and amused.

His head lowers and he brushes his lips against hers. "I could make you swoon," he whispers before capturing her lips. His emotions flood into the kiss: fear, relief, humour and annoyance. Heat dances between them. The years have only increased their attraction and love for one another. Her arms wrap around his neck pulling him closer. It takes all of his self-restraint to keep space between them. He pulls away and a delicious smirk triumphantly gleams at the look on her face. It does not last long. Her arms unwind from around his neck and she ducks under his arm and passes him. He twists round quickly and growls.

She giggles and simply says, "Careful!"

He chuckles and quickly grabs her wrist before she can escape completely. He tugs her back to him. Her free hand lands on his chest to help steady her. That word never fails to make him smile in the midst of an argument, and she knows full well the power it has over him. He holds her in place before him, his arm snaking around her waist. She looks up at him with large beguiling eyes. "Careful," he whispers, "look at a man like that and he could lose control."

"You are not angry?" She asks him, her fingers flexing against his chest.

"With you? Honestly, a little. However I do understand why you have done this but please do not frighten me like that again."

"You are angry with me for pretending to be hurt, not for making you return here."

"I needed a push. I just wish you could have done it another way," he strokes her cheek as he replies. She moves closer and embraces him, her head falling against his shoulder. He kisses her on the top of the head and lets out a sigh that she is safe and unharmed.

The door opens again and a throat clearing has Ari trying to step back. Archer keeps hold of her and glances in that direction. Logan crosses his arms, his expression serious. "I see the patient has fully recovered." Logan exhales slowly. "They are ready for you downstairs. Time to face the music, little brother."

Archer nods and releases Ari. Her hand slips into his and he glances down at her. He did not think the day where he introduced his family to his wife would come this soon. He follows after Logan. When they reach the stairs Archer speaks, "Am I to expect any more fists flying?"

Logan laughs and glances back. "I can only speak for myself. I am glad Bear floored you but I shall not be following his example. I will leave that to others."