Thirty Eight

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"You did not win," he informs her, the scowl across his brows incredibly pronounced. She turns to him with one raised eyebrow and a slight up-tilt to her lips. His scowl deepens at the sight of her amusement. "You did not win," he repeats.

She shrugs her petite shoulders in reply and turns away from him to continue brushing down her horse. The breeze lifts her hair slightly and it dances until it passes and her hair sinks down her back once again. He lets out a sound of annoyance at her silence and her lips tilt upwards a little more.

"We entered into what I believed was a fair game. You cheated before it had even begun and for this you sacrifice your win."

"If you say so," she replies softly. His eyes narrow as he stares at the back of her head. He knows that she does not agree and her answer is only to rile him.

"I cannot believe I thought it wise to leave you alone with my brother." At his irritated words a giggle slips from her lips. "Ari," he warns.

Finally she turns and leans back against her trusted mare. She crosses her arms against her chest, the brush loosely held in her right hand. "Orion was a perfect gentleman. I have no idea why you would speak about wisdom in regard to this."

"You know very well that I am not speaking in reference to his behaviour towards you. You are not his type nor would he dare cross me in such a way."

"Then what do you refer to, for I am at a loss," she says, her eyes sparkling despite the dim light in the barn.

"You cheated."

"I played the game better than you. I do not regard that as cheating."

A sigh of exasperation leaves his lips. "You lied to me."

"I did," she agrees immediately. "However that does not mean I cheated."

"You..."

"We entered into a game - not a fair one I have to say. Not fair in the sense that had I not trained with Orion you would most certainly have come out the victor. Your skills are superior to mine in this area and thus a surprise attack was the only way I could achieve victory. I won and you can believe I won unfairly if you wish but I won all the same."

"I am not leaving you with my family again."

"Good." Her smile brightens and she steps forward and kisses him in the cheek. His scowl instantly disappears but an untrusting glint reflects in his dark eyes. He shakes his head and a rumbling laugh comes from his chest.

"You little minx. I promise I will not leave you behind for weeks at a time again. You have my word."

Arisxandre grins and pats his arm. "I am pleased we have come to an understanding. I do adore your family, do not mistake me, and I love to visit them but I do not appreciate being left with them because you viewed me as additional luggage on your trip."

"My assignment was not one suitable for a woman to accompany me on," Archer reminds her.

Ari nods. "I am aware. I just do not understand why you would accept it on such terms."

He rolls his eyes and goes over to his saddle bags heaped on the floor in the corner. His steed follows him, nudging his back wondering why his grooming session keeps getting interrupted. Archer pays his horse on the neck before searching through his bag. Ari watches him with undisguised curiosity. He removes something but clasped it tightly in his palm. He returns to her and holds out his empty hand to her. Cautiously she places her hand within his and they both look down at her hand. Archer speaks quietly and affectionately now. "I gave you this ring a few years ago now. It was the most I could afford at that time."