Forty One

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Lady Tikva."

She turns and he sees her hand disappear into the folds of her skirt. Old habits really do die hard and perhaps in her case they should. He wonders how many weapons she keeps about her person.

"I meant to thank you. I admire your determination to protect them and I should have been more open with you about my intentions. You have kept my family's secret for many years and I should have trusted that you would not use anything I said against me."

"Arisxandre is my sister in law. You need not thank me for that. I would not cause her upset by revealing her husband's identity to anyone. Nor do you need to thank me for protecting Mia. It is my duty to stop making mistakes with those that are close to me." She turns and attempts to walk away with no further conversation.

"What of your brothers? Do you not view them as close to you?"

Zara sighs and glances back at Bear. "If you are determined to have a conversation then you must walk with me. I do not have time to stop and confer as I have responsibilities to see to."

"As you wish." Bear falls into step beside her.

"My brothers will always be my brothers but I am done doing their bidding. They will never know of Mia's location nor that Hunter lives and if Dawn ever leaves my brother she will have that same protection. Blood no longer leads me as it did before. Are you satisfied?"

"Then it is not your brothers you fear for..." Bear muses aloud.

"You understand that your courtship of Mia must take place here under my husband's and my supervision?"

"I assumed as such."

"Surely you wish to be with her rather than conferring with me?" Zara asks him with a sly look in his direction. Bear grins.

"She is having a private conversation with the children. We agreed to see each other at dinner. A dinner that I knew I should ask the Lady of the house if I could attend." He throws the conversation back in her direction. He can sense that she does not truly wish to be having a discussion with him.

Zara pushes open a door and they enter a bustling kitchen filled with heavenly smells. Zara heads over to the cook with an easy smile. "Mrs Wardly, I trust the menu was delivered to you? Dinner will be at seven and I hope an extra place will not be inconvenient for you."

"Not at all, My Lady." The cook curtseys briefly then returns to her work.

Zara moves on through the kitchen casting an eye over everything without disturbing anyone. Truthfully they barely notice her presence but they all notice as Bear follows in her footsteps. They leave the kitchen and their attention returns to their duties with a few whispers added to the mix.

Zara keeps walking until she comes across the butler whom she speaks with quietly for a few minutes before again continuing on. She slows her steps enough for Bear to easily walk by her side again. "I take that to mean I am welcome at dinner," he prompts.

"You are welcome for as long as you remain here. A room is being prepared for you and I am sure will be ready for you after dinner." She glances at him out of the corner of her eye. "Is that all?"

"Yes."

Philippe appears ahead of them and his face breaks out in a handsome grin upon sight of his wife. He strides up to his petite woman and takes her hand, placing a kiss on her palm. Zara rolls her eyes but the loving tilt to her mouth shouts volumes. He then turns his attention to Bear and sharply bows. "Welcome to our lands Lord Usani. I trust your stay with us will be enjoyable. I hope you do not mind but I wish to steal my wife away for a moment. Feel free to wander around. My servants will happily advise you where to go for different activities." Philippe speaks quickly already pulling his wife after him and leaving shortly after the last word leaves his mouth. Best chuckles in the now empty room.