The Hamsa

Showing an open right hand (most often with an open eye in the center) this palm shaped amulet is popular in the Middle East and North Africa. (Arabi term is Khamsha, quite literally meaning five or five fingers of the hand. Jewish term is Hamsa which came from the Hebrew word  'Hamesh' meaning five.) Some Jews believe that the five fingers refer to the five books of the Torah, and Some say that in the Islamic tradition that they represent the five pillars of Islam. The Hamsa is commonly used on decorations, clothing, and jewelry. It's purpose is to be to protect against the 'evil eye', or simply for protection from evil. This symbol is believed to out date even Judaism and Islam, though it's true origin has not been found. In Islam it is known as the hand of Fatima in recognition of Muhammad's daughter Fatima Zahra. Some Christians ended up calling it the Hand of Mary and sometimes the Jews called it the Hand of Miriam after Moses' sister. 

The use of the Hamsa has been around for quite some time even to ancient Mesopotamia. As it can be used as a universal sign of protection, it has great similarity to the hand symbols Varada Mudra, or the palm of the hand facing upwards and the fingers downwards, meaning to feel the blessings coming towards you and to know your prayers will be accepted. And the Abhaya Mudra, meaning protection and to not have fear, in which the palm is facing outward with the hand upright appears often such as in the frequently used pose of young Buddha for teaching and protection. 

The Hamsa also can represent Blessings, power, strength, and luck.