The Triple Moon

The Triple Moon is a symbol widely used across Wiccans and Pagans to represent the Goddess or most commonly the Moon Goddess. The symbol itself is a waxing crescent moon attached to the left side of a full moon, and another crescent moon on the right except this time it is waning. The symbol is used to represent the cycle of life in a woman in the stages of the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone, and to represent the cycle of the Goddess. 

    The Maiden stage is represented by the Waxing moon. The Maiden herself represents youth, the wonder and mystery that comes with being young and discovering the world for the first time, and learning to love ourselves. She represents new beginnings, fertility, growth and rebirth. She is the embodiment of joy, seduction and beauty, she is the bliss in ignorance and to me she is the will to learn. She is unfearful of the world, and open to new experiences that come along with the excitement of youth. Belonging to no one suitor she is free to enjoy all aspects of life. 

    The Mother stage is represented by the Full moon. She represents adulthood, responsibility, maturity, and motherhood, learning to love others as we love ourselves. She is pregnant with the hope of life, and is the strong mother willing to protect her own through thick and thin. In this stage she is the teacher to her children, willing to share her knowledge yet still continuously learning through life on her own. She is the beautiful lover and a stern but loving leader to her own.

    The Crone stage is represented by the Waning moon. She represents the wisdom of the world through many years of life and experience. Having lived a long and eventful life the Crone is often represented alone, by herself to learn to find peaceful solitude in knowing that her death is not far away. The Crone is the Wise Woman and storyteller who is often the least understood and most feared aspect of the Triple Goddess because of her association with death and the mysteries regarding rebirth or views on the afterlife.