15: Wake Up

Emery was still asleep. Fast asleep. Isabelle had no doubt that she would wake up. It was just a matter of when. Emery had been asleep in the Institute Infirmary for just over twelve hours now. Alec had drawn a portal and gotten them all back, while Jace carried Emery's body to the infirmary.

"Nothing?" Alec asked, his voice quiet. He had just come back from Magnus' place. Alec had spent the night wrapped up in Magnus. Memorizing every inch of his body. Izzy shook her head without looking away from Emery's still face. Alec laid a hand on his sisters shoulder, Izzy rested her hand on top of his. The two of them stood there for what seemed like hours. Waiting for Emery's body to so much as twitch.

Izzy was insistent on being there when she woke up. She figured it was the right thing to do, be there with her parabatai.

***

Hours later Jace found himself wondering to the infirmary. He hadn't realized that he was walking that way until he was looking at Isabelle who had fallen asleep next to Emery's cot. Jace looked down at Isabelle before smiling, then he tossed a small blanket on top of her.

Jace wasn't sure what he was doing, down in the infirmary. He was beyond furious at Emery and he had the right to be. But for some reason he hadn't been able to sleep. Jace tossed and turned in his bed with Clary curled next to him before he finally got up and began wondering the halls of the Institute.

Jace felt bad that Emery had gotten hurt, he always blamed himself when someone got hurt. Figured that there was always something that he could have done to prevent injury. Alec always told him that it wasn't his fault and he always kind of knew that he wasn't responsible for everyone around him. But it was one of his faults. A small groan snapped Jace from his deep thought.

Emery was sitting up straight, reaching for the glass of water that was only inches from her finger tips. Jace hovered over Isabelle and placed the cup into Emery's shaking fingers. Emery didn't look at Jace, she just swallowed gulps of water. Her mouth had been dry and her lips cracked, she desperately needed chapstick. Emery then gasped coming up for air as the last of the water was swallowed. When she looked up she saw Jace smiling, for only a moment before his smile faded into his new chiseled expression.

Jace looked around the room and pushed his hair out of his face. "You're awake." Jace stated, how obvious of course she's awake. He sat down on the opposite of the the cot than where Izzy was asleep.

Emery let out a small chuckle, she was nervous that he was here, her arms and stomach felt like they were on fire when she's tried to laugh. Her laughed died off as she gripped her abdomen.

"Your arms shouldn't scar," Jace said noticing how she was staring at her arms, "Alec and I kept redrawing the Iratze rune every hour or so." Emery nodded, she continued to stare at her arms. She slightly traced one cut, shivered at the pain it caused.

"Is everyone else alright?" Emery asked, looking around to see that no one else was in the Infirmary.

One side of Jace's mouth tugged up, "Yes." His answer was short. Although Jace was relieved that Emery was fine, he was still mad at her.

Emery held her breath, studying Jace's face. His half smile dropped and he jammed his hands into his pockets. He was still angry, but at least he was here. Emery licked her lips while glancing down at Izzy, who was still sound asleep. Emery figured it was good she was asleep. The two of them had been up for 48 hours prior to Emery getting hurt so there was no doubt in her mind that Izzy had been up much longer than that.

"How long was I out?" Emery tried asking, her fingers twiddled in her hand. Jace places his elbows on his knees.

Jace's mouth was dry, and he really didn't feel like talking to Emery. "About 20 hours." Jace answered shortly. He felt bad for still being mad but he couldn't help himself. She lied to him over and over, even though she knew he had huge trust issues.

"Got it." Emery's voice was stiff, Jace then understood that she didn't want to talk to him either. She didn't want to talk to him, not now and not like this. Emery knew he was still mad so there was no point trying to talk to him now. She could wait. Although it was killing her knowing he was mad. Jace nodded before he exited the room, Emery's eyes burning into his back the entire way out.

~~~~~~~
A/N
Word Count: 821