CHAPTER 6- You are my Sunshine

A/N: This chapter is actually the second version of Chapter 6 that I wrote. The first version was sooooo bad that I had to completely scrap it and start over. I'm posting the original version on my page under a work titled "Bloopers" if anyone is interested in reading it and seeing what might have been! (Just don't judge me because it's really, really bad) The deleted version is also NOT cannon, so nothing in it should be considered part of the continuity of Going Long. As far as this chapter goes, it's a long one! Yaaay! Hope you like it... vote, comment, etc if you do!

Chapter 6- You are my Sunshine

~Jake~

            I was having the best dream. It was one of those dreams where you know you're dreaming so you can control everything and make it exactly how you want. In this dream I was Mario, but also myself. I was running through Bowser's castle, searching for Princess Peach, and every time a goomba popped up I did a perfect flying ground-pound and flattened it. I got to the top floor of the castle where I knew Peach was being held, but the doors to her room were locked.

            Just as I was about to make a key materialize and unlock the door, the dream dissolved. I wasn't sure what woke me up, but I refused to open my eyes, hoping I could just fall back into the dream and finish it before my alarm went off.

            Instead of drifting back to sleep like I wanted, I became even more conscious. Of a body. A body wrapped in my arms.

            Did I hook up last night? I was still too fuzzy with residual sleep to put the details together, but I must have snuck whoever it was in my room after my parents went to sleep. Wouldn't be the first time.

            I smiled, pulling the mystery girl further onto my chest. Whoever it was was warm and smelled like sandalwood. She was also kind of heavy. Shit. Did I bang a fatty?

            I squeezed her experimentally. She felt solid, not squishy. Maybe it was one of the basketball girls? I could deal with that. There were some serious babes on the basketball team.

            I started to drift off again, content that she had to be hot, or I wouldn't have let her stay the night.

            She shifted, jostling me back to consciousness as she slid her leg up my calf.

            Her hairy leg...

            My eyes flew open.

            The hot mystery girl was Josh. Everything from the day before came back to me in a rush and I laughed, realizing I was in Josh's bed, not my own. So much for my basketball girl hook-up.

            Josh was still sound asleep on my chest, my laugh apparently not enough to disturb his deep sleep. I pulled one arm away slowly, trying not to bother him. He seemed pretty comfortable on top of me.

            I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and looked at the time. Five a.m. We had weight lifting at six thirty, so I didn't have to be up for another hour. Ugh. No way I was going back to sleep now, but I couldn't move without waking up Josh.

            He'd been really cool last night, staying up with me and letting me vent when I couldn't go to sleep because I was thinking about the fire. I'd just been fucking around when I relayed the news at the cabin, but after I actually saw the damage...the massive hole where the entire east wall of our house was just...gone, it had all become too real. It didn't help seeing Anna completely lose her shit either. Turns out it was her fault, but no one was really blaming her. That didn't keep her from feeling guilty I guess, and I hated it when my baby sister cried.