First Ultrasound

I sat in the waiting room of the hospital, waiting to be called back. Today was the day that Shane and I get to see our baby. This will make this pregnancy official for the both of us.

"Makayla Madej?" I heard a chirpy female voice say

Shane and I got up and followed the nurse to an exam room and I hopped up on the exam table. The nurse asked me some health related questions before telling me the ultrasound technician would be in shortly.

Once we were alone, I turned to Shane

"You excited?" I asked

"Very. I can't wait to go to work and show our friends at Buzzfeed our baby's first picture" he replied

Before I could respond, the ultrasound technician walked, she shook mine and Shane's hands before assisting me into a reclining position and getting the machine ready. I grabbed Shane's hand, lacing my fingers with his long slender ones. I'm sure he could sense my nervousness, given I was staring straight up at the ceiling and squeezing his hand with a death grip, turning his hand white with how hard I was gripping it.

"It'll be okay" he said, gently kissing the back of my hand. I smiled gently as I knew he was sincere in what he was saying.

"Nervous, are we?" The technician said with smile.

"A little" I replied

"I take it you've never had an ultrasound before" she said

"No" I said

"Don't be nervous, honey" she said "This test is as easy as anything. I just rub some goo on your stomach that's kind of cold, and all you have to do is lay there and relax". I nodded gently.

The technician lifted up my shirt upon me giving her the ok and then put some gel on my stomach, making me flinch from the cold feeling, making her chuckle slightly, which made me turn red with embarrassment, which she clearly noticed.

"Aw, no need to be embarassed" she said as she grabbed the ultrasound wand. "Even though I warn them, they are still not prepared"

She put the wand on my stomach and began moving it around. The screen had not been turned around yet, so I had yet to see what was on it.

Shane squeezed my hand tightly, and I looked at him and grinned, glad to know I had his support through it all.

"I'm picking up two heartbeats" the technician said

"Mine and the babies?" I asked

"Two heartbeats not including yours" She said

Shane's eyes lit up "does that mean.." He said

"Congratulations, Mr. And Mrs. Madej, you're having twins" she said

The screen was turned so we could see it. Shane and I stared intently at the outline of the two lives growing inside me. I looked up at Shane with wide eyes, my heart pounding at an exceedingly fast rate. I could see the joy radiating off his face, I could feel his hand shaking in mine as what were just told was hitting him.

"You okay?" I said

"Yeah, it's just hitting me I'm going to be a dad" Shane said. I smiled as I turned back to face the screen once more.

"There's one of the baby's little feet, and here's the other baby's little hands" she said, using her red manicured nail to point them out. "And those two little flickers there, that their little hearts. You two want to hear them"" she asked

"Yeah" I replied

She pushed a button and two thumping sounds filled the room. I felt my fill with tears and two of them slid down the sides of my face. I turned my head to look at Shane, who smiled at me, before asking the technician for a tissue, which she handed to him and he handed it to me.

"Sorry" I said, dabbing at my eyes.

"No, don't be" she said "I know how you feel, this is quite an emotional experience"

A few more pictures were taken before she said "Your expected due date is August 18th" before shutting the machine off and taking the wand off my stomach. As she wiped the gel of my stomach with a towel, she said "I wanna see you again in two weeks"

"Not a problem" I replied, pulling my top back down. Shane grabbed my hand and helped me up. I grabbed my purse as the technician handed the pictures to Shane. We thanked her and scheduled our next appointment.

We left and then we called our families, celebrating our upcoming family of 4