Chapter 3

Chapter 3

16 weeks later...

      I already knew I was awake before my body let me know by convulsing from my bed. I didn't make a sound, just sealed my lips together and wiped the sweat from my forehead. 

        I swung my legs around the side of my bed and pushed my mind back and my body up. I walked to the window, feeling the muscles and the tension coiled inside me slip out like a baloon popping as I watched the fading stars, their glow too, fade into the light of the sun.

       It was more of a routine now than anything. Nightmare, sky, shower, dress, word, repeat. 

      But today, however, was my day off. I got some peace of mind and was heading out to meet up with Kaitlyn, one of the cover girls who had recently been doing a shoot for Zeuses. 

      Kaitlyn wasn't you're typical 'pretty model'. Instead of pink lip gloss and makeup, she had two full sleeves of tatoos, black hair and piecings covering her right eyebrow, her bottom lip, both ears from bottom to top, and her nose. 

      But underneath that, she was a really good person. But, like me, she had a past. I think that's why we got on. We were both comfortable not talking about certain things, and when one got a little too close to the soft topic, there was only complete understanding. 

     So after having a shower and changing into a pair of shorts and a lose comisole top, I was ready to. 

      I pushed the couch with my knees out of the way, muttering something incoherant about the stupid locks. 

      When I opened the door, I was met with what at first seemed like a stack of floating boxes, but after a few seconds, I noticed the skinny pair of legs behind them, approaching the door opposite mine. 

      "Whoa, dude, you need any help?" I asked, coming out of my door way and rushing towards the legs. 

      "Oh, hey, I can't see you." She muttered behind the cardboard. Definitely female. She swivelled slightly so that I could see her face, and I was met with stunning emerald eyes and a fairly familiar face, but too vague for me to be able to pin point it. 

      Snapping out of my thoughts, I quickly took the last few steps towards her and grabbed the top two boxes. Finally, she could see over the top with her small, petite frame and dark brown hair, similar to mine, although mine had more of a deep red tint to it. 

      "Thanks! Could you put them in here?" She said with a smile that, again, could only be described at painsakingly familiar. 

       I nodded and followed on her heels into the apartment opposite my own. 

       After placing the boxes on a white sheet covered couch, the girl stood to her full height- my shoulder- and reached out her hand. "Luna." She said. 

        "Laken." I replied quietly, feeling a self concious. I never was good with social situations.

       "Pretty name." She said with a grin. Oh, where had I seen that grin. "Do you live here?"

        "Yeah, actually right there." I pointed out to the hallway and at the plain wooden door that was my own. 

       "Oh, right, of course. Duh." She laughed. "I guess I'm glad you're nothing like the guy downstairs then. He keeps winking, or something. Maybe it's an eye twitch."

      I offered a small smile. When there was only a seconds of silence, I quickly stood back. "It was nice to meet you, Luna. You know where I live if you need any help with anything." I said sheepishly. 

        "Thanks, I might take you up on that offer."

        "Sure." I nodded, bringing my gaze back to hers. 

       "How long have you lived here?" She asked. I tried to subtely look down at my watch. My meeting was in 20 minutes. 

       "About a year." It was blunt, evasive, but it was the best I could offer. "How long you planning on staying?" I asked..

       She laughed humourously. "As long as my brother lets me. He hates this place- no offence," She added quickly. "but he didn't want me living here. So as soon as he can get me to move out. But I don't think any time soon. I like it here."

        I smiled, thinking at least we had one thing in common.

      "He's completely too over-proteective. He only let me move out of my parents house because I literally begged him, and by the time he saw this house, I'd already put my deposit down so he couldn't change my mind." She took a breath, finally. "You got any?"

       I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "Any what?"

      "Brothers, silly."

      I shook my head no and took a step toward the door. I had to stop doing this to myself. I guessed it was just a sensitive month for me.

       "Well, I gotta go." I said. 

      She looked a little put out for a second, like I'd insulted her. And I suddenly felt really guilty...Oh, god. But then she said, "Oh, of course. Thank you again for helping with the boxes." She said, following me to the door. 

        "S'okay" I gave her a small, awkward wave before turning on my heel and making my way down the stairs and to my car.