Chapter 28

7 minutes into the drive, and all had been silent.

Me, because I couldn't form any words that would make sense despite the situation. Everything was spinning through my mind in a tailspin, all whacking into each other and mixing and clashing. I couldn't form a coherent sentence.

Levi, probably because I'd ruined his night. Probably because I'd, again, neglected to offer him apart of my life, refused to share what apparently a lot of other people knew about, but he didn't.

Finally, I spoke up. "I'm really sorry that I-"

"What are we?" He interrupted suddenly.

It took me a few moments to speak. "What?"

"Us." He pointed between the two of us. "What are we?"

My heart began to flip in my chest, and with every jump it made it's way higher to my throat. "What do you mean, us?"

He gave me a sudden pointed lips. "Are we friends?"

"Yeah... Of course we are. Why..." I said slowly, trailing off in confusion.

"Just friends?"

My stomach did a little somersault and I swallowed hard. "Levi..."

"I mean, we haven't been acting like friends. God, I though we were just more than that, you know?" He shook his head. "Well, I guess you don't, actually."

"Why are we having this conversation now, Levi?" I asked in a small voice.

"Because you just told everyone we were friends!" His voice raised to almost a shout. "Is that all I am to you... Just your friend?"

I closed my eyes and pressed a hand to my forehead. This was it. This was the time to do it. "Yes."

I saw it flash in his eyes, the hurt, the anger, the betrayal. We'd been anything but friends over the past few months. He knew that, I knew that. And I'd just ended that.

"You're lying." I almost reeled back, my head twisting almost giving me whiplash.

"What?"

"You're lying to me. You're lying to yourself. Hell, you're lying to anyone you tell that what we have," he pointed to the space surrounding us. "Is just friendly."

"I'm not lying Levi-"

"Yes you are." Suddenly, the car was swerving and we were parked at the side of the empty road. "I know you. Better than you think I do."

"Stop-"

"I may not know all the things in your past, but as far as I'm concerned, that was just that- the past. I don't need to know all them things to know who you are now.

"And by knowing you, I know that this means more to you than just friends. Just like it does for me. So why are you doing this?"

"I'm not doing anything."

"You're pushing me away. It's built into you, I can see that. I've always seen that, but I can also see that we're not just friends."

"We can't be anything more." I whispered.

"And why is that?"

I sighed, my heart heavy. "Because you don't know me."

"I do."

My hands were shaking. "So who am I?"

His chest was rising and falling with his heavy breathing. "You," he said quietly. "are the most amazing, beautiful, intelligent, unique and independent person I've ever met. You're not this... Broken person you think you are- you're more than that. There's so many sides of you, so many things I want to know every detail of, every aspect of."