Seventy-Three

Epilogue daw pero itinuloy ko as chapter 😄

Enjoy!

*****

Nasa kalagitnaan ng paghahanda para sa Noche Buena sina Alden at Dei nang makaramdam si Dei ng sakit sa sinapupunan. Her hands darted down to her tummy as she leaned against the kitchen counter and waited for the contraction to end - which doesn't last longer than a minute.

Alden was immediately right by her side and was holding her firmly on the shoulder. Bakas sa mukha nito ang pag-aalala. "Babe, are you okay?"

She bobbed her head and took a deep breath. "Malapit na ata ako manganak, hon. I keep having my contractions for the past two days now."

"Should I bring you to the hospital now?"

Natawa dito si Dei. "Huwag muna. Malulungkot lang ako dahil maaalala ko ang mama dun."

"Eh gaano na ba iyan kalapit?" tukoy nito sa kambal na ipinagbubuntis niya.

"Maybe... tomorrow? Or the next day? Or the following days?" she carressed the stubbles on his jaw before squeezing his cheeks. "Ituloy natin 'tong paghahanda sa pasko..."

Alden was about to stepped back to cutting the ingredients on the kitchen island when he suddenly noticed something.

"Are you peeing?"

"No. It's my water... I'm about to deliver our child, Alden!!!"

"Right now?"

"Right fucking now!!"

Panick ensued between them and Alden was the first one to recover. Tumakbo ito sa kwarto para kunin ang nakahandang hospital bag sa wardrobe ni Dei at mabilis na kinuha ang susi ng sasakyan sa lalagyan bago binalikan ang natulalang asawa upang dalhin sa ospital. The pregnancy training he signed himself into every month truly paid off at that instant.

Habang papunta sila sa ospital, mas lalong lumalakas ang contraction ni Dei. "We're almost there, babe. Just breath in... and breath out."

They were able to reach the hospital in no time and the medics were already on standby outside the emergency area. Paghinto ng sasakyan ay agad na inasikaso ng mga ito si Dei at ipinahiga sa stretcher.

The hours that followed were a blur and Alden stayed by her side the entire time outside the delivery room. He looked like he was going to burst out of anger after watching his wife struggling in pain if the doctor hadn't assured them that her cervix was simply dilating.

"Would you like an epidural to relieve the pain, Dei?" her doctor suggested but Dei was quick to say No in her weak voice.

"No? Why?!"

Inabot ni Dei ang kamay ng naiinis niyang asawa at mahigpit itong hinawakan. "I want to deliver our twins the natural way, Alden. No pain relievers. Nothing."

"But you're in pain!" He gritted his teeth and faced the doctor in disbelief. "Is she losing her mind right now?"

"It's just normal, Mr. A. A lot of woman thinks the same way. Everything that comes with childbirth, especially the pain, is something that should be celebrated," the doctor smiled at Dei. "Your wife is going to be fine."

Dei weakly nodded her head and Alden has no choice but to surrender with a sigh. He raked his fingers through his hair and watched the time pass on the wall clock across him.

"Aaaaldeeeeeen!"

Akala ni Alden tinawag siya ng asawa. But a familiar couple stormed down the other end of the hallway and the woman being wheeled on the stretcher oddly looked like his wife. Doon niya lang na-recognize that it was the photographer that has the same name as him and his wife, Maine.

"Oh, hey!" photographer Alden cheerfully greeted when they passed them to go inside the delivery room.

"You're having a child again?"

"Yep. Panglima ko. Prinsesa."

"Aaaaaldeeeeen!!!" sigaw ng asawa nito na nauna na sa loob ng delivery room.

"Gotta go!" Masayang paalam nito na para bang sanay na sanay na ito sa ganitong sitwasyon.

"You should try to relax like him, Alden..." Dei chuckled in a hoarse tone. "Wala naman masamang mangyayari. The twins and I are healthy-"

Another round of contractions came suddenly that had Dei thrashing wildly on the stretcher. Agad na sumigaw ng doktor si Alden and a team of medic immediately came to help.

Pagkatapos tignan at sukatin ang labasan ni Dei ay idineklara na ng doctor na pwede na siyang manganak. They wheeled her into a separate room for delivery and Alden anxiously followed from behind.

*****

Alden looked totally well-spent when he stepped out of the labor room. His face and back were covered in sweat, his eyes were heavy, and there were faint scratches on his right arm. Ngayon alam na niya kung bakit labor ang tawag sa panganganak.

It was a hard task to do and Alden was grateful to see his friends waiting for him outside the room. He was ready to spill the beans about the hardships of delivering a baby to them when Jhake spoke.

"Oh, kamusta na sina Tuba at Lambanog?"

*****