Chapter 1: Responsibilities

Jon woke to see the soft rays of the first light of day shining through the shutters. Beside him Ygritte slept on, the pair of them wrapped snugly in many furs. He cast his sleepy gaze over his wife, the little light that was in the room catching on her red hair and making it glow. It was as everyone said that you looked younger in your sleep, Ygritte did too. Her face was relaxed and all of the tension and worry was gone making her look or the more beautiful than he already found her. She always said that he worried too much, she hid her worries behind a playful smirk but Jon could always see through it. 

  She breathed out, shifting slightly in her sleep. Jon smiled, sitting up slightly and feeling the cold air against his bare chest. He ran an absent minded hand over the scar above his heart then down to those on his abdomen. They were bittersweet. He died, was betrayed by his own men, that was the bitter. His Ollie had stabbed him in the heart. But the sweet was beside him, the sweet was his wife, his soulmate, his queen. 

  He yawned, stifling the sound with the back of his hand so as not to disturb the woman. The king slowly swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood, reaching out and pulling on the breeches that he had discarded on the floor the night before. Ghost raised his head from his paws, red eyes watching him from his position at the foot of the bed. Jon walked over to the wardrobe and pulled out a tunic and boiled leather. It was all plain as was the way , the tunic grey like the Stark wolf and the leather black, similar to the black he used to wear in the Watch. 

  "Morning," he heard Ygritte mumble behind him, he turned, leaving the buckles of the leather undone in favour of going over to her.

  He crawled back up onto the bed, stroking the hair back off of his bare shoulder and pressing a kiss to her forehead. Just as the king was pulling away she whipped up and grabbed the tunic by the laces pulling him back down on top of her in a fierce kiss before flipping them over so that she was straddling his hips.

  "I can feel you staring to worry already," she said, running a hand through Jon's tangled black hair.

  "I'm not--"

  "You are."

  "I'm going to talk to the lords about how we can prepare the North today," Jon told her.

  "About the dragonglass and about training woman and girls," Ygritte nodded slightly.

  Jon nodded in return, his hands were on her hips but he gazed over her body and frowned. She was completely naked still from the night and it was winter in the North. He traced his fingers down her arm, both of them shivering as they skated around the soul mark on her right wrist.

  "Aren't you cold?" he asked running his hands up and down her sides gently.

  "I'm a free woman, I am the cold," she smirked, leaning down and pecking him on the lips before swinging off of him and the bed, pulling on her undergarments. 

 Jon stretched and rolled back off of the bed, buckling the leather protection and pulling on his boots. Long Claw lay on the table over his map of Westros but he didn't want to buckle it quiet yet, the map drawing his attention and his worry. He still maintained the front that he knew what he was doing. In reality a large and nasty part of him was certain that they wouldn't be able to defeat the Night King.

  "You're thinkin' again, worrying," Ygritte commented.

  The king turned slightly to look at his soulmate concentrating on the bond. "You're thinking too."

  "I bet it's about different stuff though," she replied, coming up and wrapping her arms around him from behind, resting her head next to his on his shoulder.