Chapter 3: Leaving Home

Once more Jon stood in the hall among the lords, addressing them about about his plans and listening to their displeasure. It didn't really matter to him though because he had Ygritte's support and that was all that seemed to matter to him these days. Still, and he had to keep telling himself this, he was the King in the North and these were his people. He would not rule the way the kings- and now queen- ruled in King's Landing, he would rule so that the people knew what was going on, they could help input their voices into the way that this kingdom would be ruled. Jon just had to make them see that his decision was important and was the right one.

"Have you forgotten what happened to our grandfather," Sansa spoke up above the noise, " the Mad King invited him to King's Landing and roasted him alive."

"I know," Jon said quietly, looking over at his sister. The young woman that he couldn't help but admire and be proud of.

"She is here to reclaim the Iron Throne and the Seven Kingdoms. The North is one of those seven kingdoms. This isn't and invite, it's a trap," Sansa said forcibly.

"It could be but I don't believe Tyrion would do that. You know him, he's a good man," was Jon's reply. He knew that if the letter had been from Daenerys herself then he would have been sceptical, he didn't know he after all.

"Your Grace, with all due respect I have to agree with Lady Sansa. I remember the Mad King, a Targaryen is not to be trusted. Nor is a Lannister," Yohn Royce spoke up.

"We called your brother King and then he rode south and lost his kingdom," Lord Glover pointed out.

"Winter is here your Grace, we need the King in the North in the North," Lady Mormont practically begged.

Jon looked at the girl. She had always been his biggest supporter, had always been a formidable voice among the other lords and ladies of the North. She was the one that had first called him king. So it was her voice that made him doubt his choice, if only for a second, but he gathered his resolve again. The North needed this, Westeros needed this.

  "You all crowned me your king. I never wanted it, I never asked for it, but I excepted it because the North is my home. It's part of me and I will never stop fighting for it no matter the odds," Jon addressed the hall, "The odds are against us. None of you have seen the dead. None of you. We can never hope to defeat them alone, we need allies. Powerful allies. I know it's a risk but I have to take it."

  "Then send an emissary, don't go yourself," Sansa said, standing from where she had been sat.

  "Daenerys is a queen, only a king can convince her to help us. It has to be me."

  "I take it you're bringing Ygritte with you, as if she would agree to this otherwise," Sansa almost sneered.

  "Course I'm going with him. He's my husband and my soulmate," Ygritte said, uncharacteristically calm and polite.

  "Well then you are both abandoning your people. You're abandoning your home," Sansa continued.

  "Aye this is my home now and these are my people now," Ygritte started, standing also- Jon couldn't feel any anger coming from her, she knew she was going to win the argument,"I'm going with Jon because I've seen the dead too. I was part of the army that was trying to get across the Wall to live, to survive that army. We've fought for our lives against them before and I am willing to do whatever it takes to be able to continue to keep this life. Living is preferable to death, trust me."

  "It's okay Sansa," Jon started, placating his wife with a little look, "I am leaving the North in good hands."

  "Who's?"