Stranger Love - Chapter Nine

Stranger Love

Chapter Nine: Pizza and Demogorgon's

"How many times did you go to practise before you realised you weren't cut out for it?" Anya asked Johnny through a mouthful of pizza, the pair chuckling as they conversed.

"I went to basketball six weeks in a row. Coach pretty much told me to leave," Johnny laughed, wiping the corner of his mouth with a napkin. "Poor Steve, he was the one who talked me up too. Never made that mistake again!"

Anya smiled, thoroughly enjoying herself. Regardless of their relationship status, Johnny was very good company. He spoke animatedly about interesting topics, and seemed sincerely interested in her life. He was also very funny and the two of them had been giggling like idiots for over an hour.

"Do you still sing? I remember you doing the lead in one of the school musicals," He asked.

Anya covered her face with her hand in embarrassment. "Oh god, that was so bad! Mom still gets the tape out sometimes, it's awful,"

"No! You were amazing! I remember thinking to myself; this girl is going to be famous one day,"

"Well...I do still sing. I like to write lyrics, you know?"

Johnny nodded enthusiastically. "Can you still play like, twenty instruments?"

Anya laughed at his overexaggeration. "Not quite twenty! I play the piano and guitar, it's nothing amazing,"

His brown eyes were open and honest as they looked at her from across the plastic table, the small pizza joint full of Hawkins residents. "Will you play for me one time?"

"Sure, but you have to promise not to laugh," She pointed at him sternly, though a smile played on her lips. He held up his hands in surrender with a lopsided grin on his face.

"Never!"

The large pizza they had between them was slowly being demolished. Anya felt completely at ease with Johnny, there was no awkwardness, no feeling of anxiety. So why did she not feel the same butterflies she did when she was with Billy?

"Where do you want to go to college?" Anya said, ignoring her inner turmoil.

"Oh no, the old college question...I didn't exactly apply," He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "It's not that I can't get in to one...it's just, I don't really want to go, you know?"

"That's cool. I mean if it's going to make you happy then do it. My Dad always said that no matter what I did, I had to make sure it's what I wanted to do, not what everyone else wanted,"

"I wish my Mom and Dad had the same view! Honestly, they get on my case every single time. I don't want to spend the next three years of my life doing more exams and essays and stuff. I want to get a job, save some money and travel," He picked up another slice of pizza. "See more of the world than this tiny little town,"

"That sounds amazing," She just about heard the music change to a Kiss track, reminding her instantly of Billy and his ridiculous driving. "I would love to go travelling, but there is a music college in New York I really want to get into,"

"You suit the college vibe. I can picture you going to classes and hanging with cool music people, going to all the awesome gigs and that,"

Anya took a gulp of her pepsi, beginning to feel extremely full. She let her eyes scan the place for a moment and froze in place when she saw Billy Hargrove and Tina burst through the doors. "Shit." She voiced without thinking, the look on her face prompting Johnny to spin around in his booth.