Stranger Love - Chapter Seventeen

Stranger Love

Chapter Seventeen: Chicago

Anya hadn't been to the windy city since her father died. The streets were rife with activity, even at the lateness of the hour, artificial lights lighting up the entire place. There were people hanging out of bars, women strutting about in seven-inch heels and hair as big as the skyscrapers looming above them. Two guys waltzed past with huge boom boxes balanced on their shoulders, one of them casting Anya a glance of approval and a wink.

El noticed a couple of cops leaning on their police car and she dipped her head. Anya would have laughed at the young girl's obviousness but was stopped short by a man who barged past both she and El. He turned back to them with a sneer, his suit and tie screaming 'business man'.

"Watch where you're going, kids!" He barked. Anya wanted very badly to correct him on that score, but just settled with sticking up her middle finger at him rudely. El sniggered at his retreating back, the pair chuckling to themselves as they meandered through the city.

"Are we close?" Anya asked as they left behind the tall buildings, following a labyrinth of back streets.

"Yes," El responded, all traces of amusement vanished from her expression. The concrete sidewalks were glistening in the street lamps from the rain, a few puddles dotted about in potholes on the road. Anya could see they were heading to a darker part of the city and rolled her eyes. Typical, that this girl was living in some dark abandoned part of Chicago and not some nice pent house in the centre of the city.

It seemed Chicago hadn't the immunity to poverty. As they turned into an alleyway, the two girls were greeted with the sight of a whole community of homelessness. The increasing population and lack of jobs meant there were twice as many people who now had to live on the streets, mostly through no fault of their own, either.

Benny Hammond, her Dad, had often travelled to the city to help the soup kitchens. He would provide food and water for the many people who had no money even for a loaf of bread. Anya remembered being with her Dad once, all those years ago. Despite all his efforts, life continued to move in circles and there were always more people in need.

El looked slightly frightened so Anya took hold of her hand. A man was screaming about something in a manic voice, his eyes alight with a madness that could only be due to a mental illness of some sort. They both picked up the pace, leaving behind the many folk huddled around fires.

"Why are they like that?" El whispered, as the two walked along a quieter road. Anya scanned the graffiti on the walls, the colours bright and colourful, masking the dull greyness of the area.

"They were just...unlucky, I guess. Some people aren't dealt a good hand," Anya said. "They don't mean any harm,"

"It's not fair, is it Anya?"

"No. It really isn't,"

The young girl halted in her tracks, staring at a warehouse before them. There was a small door with a tiny window that glowed and flickered with light. "Is this it, El? Is this where she is?"

"Yes," El marched forwards determinedly.

"El, wait! We can't just walk in there, we don't even know who else is inside," Anya breathed as she raced to catch up with her strides.

"It's ok. I'm not afraid."

"Well, that makes one of us,"

El turned to her as they approached the door. "I will go first, see who is in there. If I have any trouble I can use my powers, they can't hurt me,"

"Alright. But if I hear anything I don't like, I'm coming in after you,"

The curly haired girl nodded, opening the door with a loud creak. Anya instantly heard voices sounding from inside, using her foot to keep the door slightly ajar so she could hear what was happening.