Stranger Love - Chapter Twenty Three

Stranger Love

Chapter Twenty Three - Twisted Fire Starter

Anya never liked how fast Billy drove his car around the small, dark lanes of Hawkins. However, on this particularly needful occasion, she had her foot firmly on the accelerator as she travelled at deathly speeds into the night.

Billy's car was fantastic. Not only in appearance but in sheer power, the engine purring like a kitten. She took a corner hard and fast, earning a few gasps from the kids. Dustin was grinning like the Chesire cat and she could see his beam in her peripheral vision. "Just to let you know, I think I'm in love with you," He'd been allocated to read out the directions, considering he'd called shot-gun the moment they decided to commandeer Billy's car.

"Dustin, as flattered as I am, can you please focus on the directions?" Anya said to him firmly, eyeing the map in his hands. Steve's sudden groaning alerted her to his imminent awakening and she cringed – he was NOT going to be happy.

"Oh, yeah sorry! Ok so you're gonna keep straight now for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Dustin instructed.

"Thanks," Anya glanced back at Steve, his eyes opening as he gazed around in utter confusion. He was squirming from his position in the back seat, obviously in a lot of pain. "Hey Steve, it's alright,"

"Anya? What is going on? Where are we?" He asked in a panic.

"Just chill Steve. Billy beat your ass, but you put up a really good fight," Dustin cooed as Anya put the pedal to the metal.

"Ok, stop the car! I said we weren't going! Anya, seriously! STOP THE CAR!" Steve continued to yell as the kids shouted and argued amongst themselves. The chaos was beginning to give her a headache.

"Shut up! I need to focus!!" Anya roared, though her words fell on deaf ears. "Dustin where the hell am I going!?!"

"That's it! That's mount Sinai! Make a left! MAKE A LEFT!!"" Dustin screeched like a banshee. The whole car erupted into shrieks, Anya swinging the car to the left violently. "Ok now it's this field, this one coming up. THIS FIELD ANYA THIS FIELD!"

Another round of screams sounded. Anya skidded into the farmers field, clipping the fence slightly, then hitting the breaks just before plummeting into a huge hole in the ground.

"Uh hellllooooo!" Steve cried out as he was thrown forwards. He took two breaths. "How have you passed your fucking test, Anya?!"

"Forget that now, let's go," She replied to him, wincing at the state of his face but also slightly amused at the colourful band aids Max had stuck to the cuts on his forehead. Anya leapt out of the car with the Dustin, Mike, Max and Lucas, who had popped the hood to grab their supplies. She was handed a scarf and a pair of red swimming goggles. "Are these necessary?"

"Believe me, where we're going you don't want to risk inhaling something toxic," Lucas said, voice muffled beneath the scarf wrapped around his nose and mouth.

"No! Oh no no no, no!" Steve protested after he practically fell out of the car, using the open door to prop himself up. "Where do you guys think you're going? Wha – hellooo? Are you deaf!? There is not a chance in hell we are going down that hole, I made myself clear!" He stepped forwards ill advisably, his knees giving way beneath him at a rapid pace. Anya quickly gripped his shoulders, using her body to keep him standing and peering up at him.

"Steve, will you just chill? You probably have a concussion," She said sternly. "Maybe you should stay here?"

"Hell no!" Steve argued, face a mere inch from hers. "I am not just gonna sit around up here and wait for you, we have no idea what else is down there,"