Closer to Home

This is Ian's new home^

¤

      HIS NEW HOME was all ornate detailing, multi-faceted structuring, and eggshell blue paint. 

      Miranda watched from the passenger seat, as Ian studied their home. She was hoping he'd love it, and eventually see it as a place he could be comfortable in. It was her pride and joy, many people of the town saw it as a grand structure, and envied her for it. There were a few homes on the same level, owned by the most prominent families. Their family- the Abrams, were known for being one of the most fortunate. The boy's slate eyes were unfocused, and she wondered if he was alright. 

      She met eyes with her husband, mouthing, 'you think he remembers?'  To which Jensen shook his head. 

      Right, of course not, she ruefully considered the chances. It had only been the beginning of everything, when he'd first seen the house, and it had been smaller and less of what it was now. 

      Ian was still reeling from the ride here. The children in the orphanage had never went farther than the market. The chore chart dictated who would be able to descend from their fortress of solitude, down from their scraggly mountain, and take a one mile trek on barren roads to the market for their week of groceries. If it had been closer to town, and not at the near outer edge, maybe Ian would have known how much more was out there than what his whole world had contained of. It was as if he'd been living in a small fish tank his whole life, his home a small castle ornament, and outside were places a thousand times bigger.

      He had always been subconsciously aware of the separateness, His mind had always been more complex, not goldfish enough, to simply accept the bare minimum they'd gotten. Silly, small goldfishes, he thought. 

      The car had drove them through modern homes, with actual electricity. Through beautiful landscapes, that were something to be savored. Through a whole town, that none of the Serenity children could have ever guessed it to be- more, than they'd ever gotten. The air was filled with this feeling of other, like his lungs could identify the change in air, but wasn't able define it. 

      "Ian?" Jensen held open his car door for him, slight concern in his eyes. Ian slid out of the car quickly, and put on a shy smile. 

      He bit his lip in embarrassment, his mind wondered a lot. "Sorry about that," his eyes flickered over to Miranda, who jogged around the hood of the car to stand behind her husband. Her smile was bright, and showed just how much hope she had that Ian would fit right in. It wouldn't do to disappoint the poor woman. "I'm not the best at paying attention to my surroundings."

      "Don't worry about it, my youngest does the same." Her huff of breath came out in fog, she glanced quickly up at the gray sky, "We better get in, there will be a storm soon."

       At the mention of a storm, Ian shivered in his threadbare jacket. 

      Jensen had unlocked the door, and set his bag down by the entryway. Ian hesitantly stepped into his new home. 

      The wood flooring paired with creme walls opened up the narrow hallway, and diminished the claustrophobia Ian would have felt if the space had been made up of dark colors. Miranda settled a hand on his forearm, and led him through the hallway to a lounge room. 

      "I put his bag in his room, don't forget to show him around." Jensen kissed his wife on the forehead, and paused at Ian. "I'll see you when I get home. Hopefully you'll be settled in, and comfortable with the kids." Jensen gave Ian a departing pat on the shoulder, grabbed his jacket off the coat rack in the entryway, and was out of the door.