Chapter 8- Plan of Attack

Mara rolled out of bed and dug through her drawers of clothes in search of a decent outfit. Today she would be going to the Council chambers for the scheduled meeting. They would discuss any plans of action to take against the Nightshades planning to overthrow the High Council. 

Once Mara was dressed, she dug through her closet, finding the satin green robe hanging in the very back. She brought it out and fastened it around her looking at her reflection. She barely recognized herself as the girl who stepped through the portal and onto these grounds just one year ago. So much had happened, so many things changed, and she realized that had only been the beginning. 

She wondered if she had known everything that was going to happen before she had made the decision to go to Shadow's Edge, would she choose the same? 

Her eyes wandered over towards Trixle, still asleep. Trixle had been one of the best friends she could have asked for. She had helped Mara when she needed it, and she had kept Mara true to herself. She thought about Marx, how he had served as a friend, as someone she could talk to, how he had become more. 

Her mind gravitated towards Zander. The thought of him reminded her of the meeting, she looked at the clock and realized she needed to hurry or else she would be late. 

Mara grabbed the slip of paper Torlak had given her with the code and ran down to the portal. She keyed in the numbers, saw the familiar swirling blues and purples, and stepped through. 

When she came out on the other side she was standing in a tall hall. There were large stained glass windows with the High Council symbol, a circle with the letters H.C. in the center surrounded by six stars, one for each representative on the Council. 

In the center of the room there was a giant round table with one spot for each member. She could see everyone else was already in the Council chambers, some in deep conversations. She made her way towards the table feeling slightly out of place amongst the crowd. 

Mara was met with the familiar friendly face of Torlak. Every time she ever felt self conscious or like she was insignificant or inferior to the rest of the people in the room, Torlak's look of approval, his gaze of guidance, always made her feel better. 

With the arrival of the last member, everyone made their way towards the table. 

"If everyone would find their seats so we can begin." Lillian said as she glided towards a chair. 

Once everyone had been seated Lillian began. 

"We are waiving the discussion of other business to talk about the looming threat with the Nightshades. Are there any objections to this order?"

Lillian met her hard gaze with each member as they sat silently in their seats. 

"Good. The floor is now open to discussion."

They had spent hours talking about what they thought was happening. They knew what Mara had said at the previous meeting, however Makortax was still pushing that they shouldn't be so sure that was the case. 

Mara bit her tongue and remained silent wondering why she was there. No one had asked her opinion and no one had even looked at her. She was just as silent as the goblin and dwarf. She looked towards them wondering why they almost never spoke. She had only heard Franko speak once, and she wasn't even sure what the dwarf's name was. 

The discussion was centered around Lillian, Torlak, and Makortax. 

Mara could just hear the conversation going in circles, they were obviously getting nowhere at their pace. 

"How about we make a plan of action in case he actually is planning on going against the Council to rule this Realm?"

All eyes were on Mara surprised, as if they had forgotten until that moment she even existed.