Chapter 10- The Kingdom

Torlak and Trixle had both insisted on going with Mara to Barkall, and after trying to stress the fact that she would be fine, Mara finally gave in. She had told them they could go with one stipulation, they had to stay out of the room and let Mara talk to Zeldra on her own. 

As much as she trusted the Scantlens, Mara was not ready to tell them that Zander was still getting inside her head. And hopefully, after her visit to Barkall, he wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

The office receptionist led Mara into a small meeting room where she was told to wait for Zeldra. Trixle and Torlak were told to wait in the office. She had assured them nothing would happen, but Torlak didn't seem overly convinced. He only knew about her involvement in the woods, not the remorse Zeldra had felt afterwards. Mara knew she had only felt trapped into helping Zander. 

The door opened, and Zeldra's familiar face peered around as she walked into the room, surprise evident on her face. Mara was most likely the last person she ever expected to see at Barkall Prep. 

Mara smiled reassuringly as Zeldra sat down on the opposite side of the table from Mara. 

"Hey."

Zeldra only nodded. 

"How are things going?" Mara was unsure of what to say. 

"Not too bad." 

"That's good."

The girls sat in awkward silence for a moment, each one wanting to say something but neither of them knowing exactly what. 

Finally Mara broke the silence.

"Look, I really need your help with something."

"Anything." Zeldra perked up slightly at the idea of being useful in any way. 

"Zander's alive-"

Zeldra's light eyes darkened. If Mara was the last person she had expected to see, then those words she thought she would only hear in a nightmare. 

"Certain abilities of his seem to have grown." Mara kept talking, trying to explain the situation. "Not only is he able to get into my dreams, but he can get inside my head even when I'm awake."

Zeldra's brows furrowed at the information. She was clearly already thinking something. 

"I was wondering if you knew anything, a potion or a spell, anything that could help me keep him out." Mara's voice slipped into desperation at the end. 

Zeldra sat quietly for a moment; the only sound came from her fingers tapping on the tabletop. 

"He can get inside your mind even when you're awake." Mara heard her mumble, staring down at the table intently. 

"There isn't an exact potion to help you with that. Not exactly anyway." She kept tapping the table, the tempo speeding up as her mind worked through everything. 

"Mainly, that is up to you. You have to strengthen your own mind to keep him out. My advice would be to envision a brick wall around your mind, one that is impenetrable. That should keep him out. If not, it will at least hold him off for a while."

Zeldra's brows pulled closer together and she bit her lip. 

"However there is one thing."

Mara leaned across the table, eager to hear what it may be. 

"You could use something sort of similar to what Zander used on you, a potion. You would still be the one to consume it, but when he tries to go inside your mind, you will actually get into his mind."