Chapter 9- Like Family

Mara walked into her shared room and straight towards her bed, sitting down before looking over at Trixle with her brows raised at her friend. She now knew why Emmett hadn't been in the room with Marx, he had been too busy playing tonsil hockey with Trixle. 

"I know you want to say something." Trixle said, finally breaking the silence.

Mara pursed her lips, thinking of the best way to reply. She did want to say something, she wanted to say a lot of things, but she didn't really know how. She had just popped in on her roommate with a guy, not just any guy, Emmett.

She was surprised to say the least, but along with the surprise were happiness, hurt, and a little bit of jealousy.

Mara was happy that Trixle found someone she liked; at least she assumed Trixle liked Emmett. But she was hurt that Trixle hadn't told her about him, and the jealousy. She was jealous of the way they didn't have to hide it. They had been hiding it, but as far as she knew, no one detested their relationship as Makortax did so of Marx's relationship with her. 

"Wow."

It was Trixle's turn to raise her brows. She had expected more than just a wow from Mara after walking in on her and Emmett.

"Wow?"

Mara nodded. "Yup, wow."

"That's all you have to say?" Trixle asked incredulously.

"Well I don't know what else to say. I'm still processing what I saw." 

Trixle rolled her eyes theatrically. 

"It was only a kiss!" she squealed. 

"A kiss, but he was shirtless." Mara winked at her. 

"Wait, are you?"

"No! No, we are not mates. I don't have any wolf in me, it isn't possible, we just like each other." A dreamy expression washed over Trixle's face. 

Mara giggled at her friend knowing exactly the type of feeling she was experiencing. 

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" Mara accused.

"I just didn't feel right doing that, especially with the difficulties going on with you and Marx."

Mara frowned, she had to admit that she felt jealous seeing those two together, but she still wished her friend had confided in her. 

"Just because I am having issues in the dating department doesn't mean I won't be happy for my best friend." Mara explained. "So, how long have you two been?" Mara just raised her eyebrows, using the gesture to finish the sentence for her. 

Trixle blushed and looked away. "About a week."

The girls talked all about it, how the relationship had started and about their week sneaking around. 

They've almost been sneaking around as much as us. Mara thought to herself. 

By midnight, they had efficiently covered all of their girl topics that were required when one of them was found with a guy, and they had decided to go to bed. 

Mara finally felt slightly relaxed after the long day with the High Council, she could almost forget about the impending situation with the Nightshades. 

Mara woke up, her eyes snapping open and her hand reaching up to touch the scar on her neck. Zander had left her alone for a night, the first time since that first dream invasion. She thought she would have been relieved when he finally left her alone, but instead, her mind had gone back to the same nightmare from every night before.