New Year, New Start

okay so

here's a quick fic im just throwing together on new year's eve at 10 PM

and because im a dumbass i accidentally deleted the original version of this so yay rewriting is a bitch

and yes i know i haven't updated this book since 2016 and holy shit im sorry forgive me

~Start~

Palette was sprawled across the bed as he stared blankly at his phone in the dark. Specifically at Goth's profile and contact number. Ever since Goth had to transfer to a different school, Palette had tried his best to keep in touch. But despite his efforts, it didn't work out in the long run. He knew he could move past this if he tried. Palette knew he needed to move on. But a voice in the back of his head wouldn't allow it.

The fact that he lost touch with his best friend was troubling, yes. But what worried him the most was the way Goth spoke to him. Goth's words seemed hollow and forced. His attitude had seemed to change completely. Goth sounded bored and uninterested. When Palette asked, the other simply brushed it off which at some point, lead to an argument. Eventually, they stopped talking completely.

But because Palette had developed feelings for the other, this hit him harder than it should've. Even now it still hurt. No matter what he did, the stone jaws in his chest wouldn't leave him be. It seemed to suck out what energy he had and left him exhausted.

With a sigh, Palette pushed away from the negative thoughts and looked at the time. New Year's was hours away, and he had no idea what to expect. Although he didn't know what was worse than losing your best friend and crush, perhaps he would find out. Or it would be the year he would finally move on and escape this prison of loneliness, despite having a good amount of friends.

And then there were New Year's resolutions. If Palette had, to be honest, he never took the time to sit down and think about it. In fact, it never occurred to him until his mother, Dream, brought it up. Ever since Palette was trying to come up with a way he could improve himself or even come up with a goal. Unfortunately, everything he came up with either involved Goth or seemed out of reach.

Palette was pulled out of his thought when the bedroom door opened and the lights flickered on. "Palette, what are you doing cooped up in your room? Did you forget that we have guests coming over?"

No, Palette didn't forget. He didn't want to acknowledge it. For whatever reason, Dream thought it was a good idea to host a New Year's party and invite everyone he knew. Usually, Palette would've been excited about these types of events. But the last few months took that away. "I know, mom. I'll be down in a few."

"I sure hope so." Dream said with a huff. "I invited someone you might like and it was confirmed that they were coming."

Before Palette could ask what he meant, Dream was gone. He wasn't sure who this 'someone' was, but Palette did know that he wanted nothing to do with them. It was unlikely it was Goth and his family, for Dream only met Death and Geno once. If anything, it'll end up being his cousin, PJ, whom he hasn't seen in months. But considering that PJ was a jerk, Palette would be anything but excited to see him.

After a while, Palette finally left the safety of his room and made his way downstairs. He could hear Dream working wonders in the kitchen and spotted his father, Ink, in the living room. From what he could see, he was hanging up a banner that read "Welcome 2018!"