Prologue

A Third Person's POV...

"Secrets are powerful things that can be used against the one who keeps them."

Those are the freshly typed words at the end of the laptop's document. The compact computer holds countless photos and schedules of a particular person. More documents include data and accounts of the person's whereabouts.

The person behind the screen knows each and every word within the laptop's memory system. They only created the files on the computer for when the right day came.

Private investigation had been the graduate's intended field. After being denied by agencies countless times and finding no income from people needing private investigators, the young adult gave up years ago.

Needing something new to turn to, the person fell into a routine of discovering new investigative technigues.

Unfortunately, the jobless citizen came across the wrong person during the wrong time.

A few years ago, an article was posted online about the fact that people in Mellark, Missouri were seeing an abnormally large fish in their local lake.

Wanting to stretch their skills, the person traveled to the town to track down whether the statement was true or, more hopefully, discover if the statement was false. If it was fake news, then it could be a way to uncover a scheme to draw people into the small town. That's what this jobless investigator hoped. They wanted to reveal the lies and unthruthfulness in society.

Instead, the invesigator accidentally discovered something else that should've never been found out.

The fact that shifters exist.