Verge

By the time I return to my house, it's an hour until lunch. No wonder Felicity called me with such exasperation. She likes to begin making lunch early.

Preparing a meal is the least of my problems as I walk through my back door. Roxanne just told me that someone is trying to track me down. My whole family is in danger, not just myself.

"Felicity? Felicity, I'm back."

She doesn't answer at first which isn't out of place, but my nerves are on edge so I fear the worst. My instincts direct me toward the kitchen. Two steps in, I find someone. The person is not my sister. The figure has their head stuck in the fridge.

"Who are you?" I release a lion growl. My talons are on the verge of extending.

The intruder straightens and turns toward me, "Olivia? Chill out. It's only me."

I sigh in relief, "Ash, why are you in my refrigerator?"

He shrugs, "I'm hungry. You were taking too long. Where did you go anyway?"

My words catch in my throat, causing me to pause so long that Ash stills and becomes serious. He opens his mouth, probably to ask if everything is alright, but this is the moment that Felicity walks in.

"So I found this cool new recipe that we should try out." She smiles blissfully unaware of the tension within my heart.

Ash sends her a quick grin, but keeps his focus on me. He sees that there's something up. It doesn't take long for Felicity to notice all this.

"What's wrong, Olivia?" Ash asks concerned.

My eyebrows furrow, "We need to talk. All of us together. This can't wait."

Three of us are here. The two missing members of our gang will and must be present for what I need to say.

Whoever is following me precisely wants me for some reason. In the long run, my fellow shifters are going to be affected or targeted. I protect my family. Both related and non-related.

I go on, "We can't wait for Garret and Diesel to get here. It's best that we go to them."

"Garret might be working. He won't be home until four o'clock." Felicity adds in. Of course, she would remember that Garret works a job. My sister is the most information retaining person.

I nod while replying, "You're right, but at least we'll be there when he comes home. At least Diesel will be there already."

"Can't you tell us what's up? Something at least?" Ash prods.

I shiver, "I think we're about to be compromised."

Half an hour later all three of us are jogging up the steps to Diesel's front porch. In the driveway, my simple Toyota is parked next to my boyfriend's flashy Camaro. Ash's small pickup sits on the opposite side. By the looks of it, Mr. and Mrs.Summers aren't home. Most likely, they are at work.

It doesn't take long for Diesel to answer the door. His hair is messy along with a wrinkled shirt. The appearance is disheveled but Diesel's eyes are bright at seeing us. Without waiting for him to begin greeting, we all enter through the doorway.

The Summers' place reminds me of a modern country home, which it is. Mrs.Summers either has a great taste or has somehow perfectly replicated a magazine article on how to decorate. There is a perfect balance between refined and rustic.

Ash and Felicity plop down on the couch. Diesel hesitantly steps up to me, but I'm too nervous to even make eye contact.

"How soon can Garret get here?" I break the silence.