Illusion

Olivia’s POV…

My instincts are telling me I should not be sitting here in this room. Even though I’m surrounded by my friends, I want to fly from this building.

As shifters, it’s a clear rule that visits to the doctor’s office are dangerous. It would be so easy for medical equipment to pick up on our abnormal DNA. We don’t really get sick anyway, but it's obvious that being stabbed is a whole different scenario.

It has been fifteen minutes since Doctor Rosamunde left with Ash and Diesel. Garret and his mother sit across from Roxanne and I. Apparently, Garret told his mom that we’re shifters. This isn’t how Diesel and Garret wanted to break the news. They wanted to it be a very relaxed and calm environment where they could clearly explain.

Mr.Summers should be here soon. I’m not sure how the two brothers will explain this whole deal to their father.

My white-knuckle fiists are still clenched in my lab. Smudges of blood dot my jean shorts. I’m not sure if it’s my own small cuts or from Ash. Out of habit, I touch the smooth beads of my necklace.

Diesel and I stayed in the truck bed with Ash. His moans and shutters are still haunting me this very second. Fear riddles my whole body. Fear for Ash, fear of this new enemy, and fear of the unknown.

My anxiousness gets the best of me, “I’m going to step out right quick.”

“Okay, be safe.” Garret replies with no emotion. His facial expression is drawn and difficult to read.

Roxanne sends me a simple, tired glance as I walk out of the room. She wasn’t even if the fight, but I’m know that she’s more tired than I am. My ability to stay up twenty-one hours a day really helps in serious situations such as these.

The door clicks shut softly behind me. Instead of thinking about fresh air, I turn my attention toward finding Diesel and Ash in this facility.

The sterile hallway seems to burn my retinas. To my left and right, the walls are off-white, almost grey. The scent of disinfectant fills the unmoving air. It causes my arms to prickle with tension. An unnerving feeling fills me. I remind myself that we're here to get Ash some help. We'll be fine.

The only other smell is that of blood. It’s so faint yet still leads me to a room. Hesitantly, I press the handle and push the door. A sigh of relief escapes me when I find the doctor mending Ash. Diesel is right by his friend.

Without word, I ease on into the room and stand beside Diesel. Doctor Rosamunde sends me a raised eyebrow, but continues to stay silent. My eyes stare at Ash who is on his back and staring hard up at the ceiling. The doctor stays steady as she closes the wounds and applies gauze.

A few minutes pass before she starts, “This will do. Make sure you use clean bandages and take it easy. It wouldn’t be good to rip these stitches.”

Ash slowly eases into an upright position. His left hand is completely wrapped in gauze as well as the area around his collar bone. It’s obvious that he’s still in pain. His jaw is clenched tightly.

“Thank you.” Ash meets the doctor’s gaze.

She nods and cross her arms, “You’re welcome, but this isn’t where you get up and leave.”

Ash sends us a worried expression. Diesel straightens as if preparing to stand up to somebody. I wait to see what’s coming next.

“You all came here looking as if you’ve been rolling through briars. This young man had not one but two knives stuck in him. You refused my request to go on to the hospital and contact the law. Now here we are. I deserve an explanation for this madness.” Her eyes are shooting daggers at us.