Chapter 19. What is Love

warning: explicit content ahead  

   Chapter Nineteen ~ What is Love   

              Levi smiled a little, almost pitifully.

            It was then I realized my comment must have come off as rude. “Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it like that!” I cleared my throat nervously. “I…uh, yeah, I’m-”

            His kissable lips tugged into a playful grin. “Yeah, you did, but it’s okay.” He walked towards me and propped his elbows up on the granite countertop. “Henry isn’t bad.”

            “What about Jax?”

            “Half-brother.”

            This news was really a shocker to me. I was not expecting it, at all.

            “Don’t look at me like that,” he spat, his tone growing bitter and dry. He pushed himself off the counter and continued to prepare the food.

            “Like what?”

            “Like you pity me,” he said. “If you were only with me because of my money then--”

            “No!” I objected, leaping out of my seat. It was partly true. I only tolerated him in the beginning because he was a key piece in our plan. But now, things have changed and I felt for him. “I don’t care about how much money you have.”

            “Really?”

            I scoffed. “Do you really think I would use you like that?”

            He stared at me a little while longer. “Of course not,” he finally said. “I have no idea why I suggested that.” He moved closer again, a smile growing.

            I inhaled sharply, feeling my heartbeat quicken. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop the feeling I got every time he was near. I was usually very composed, but Levi changed all of that.

            “I’ll put the food in the oven, if it still works…” His gaze disconnected from mine as he glanced out the kitchen window. “You should really go unpack.”

            “In this big cabin, all by myself?”

            His smile grew wider and into a full-on grin. “Don’t worry, if anyone steals you, they’ll have to answer to me.” With one swift movement, he planted a soft gentle kiss on my lips.

            I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.

            “Go,” he mouthed to me while nodding his head in the direction of the living room.

            Reluctantly, I slid off the stool and shuffled towards the main hallway. The fire was still alive, cackling with every second. I grabbed my suit case and turned down the first hallway, flicking a switch.

            Soft yellow light lighted the path as I disappeared down it. The first room I came across was locked. I continued down the hallway, trying to open every door. They were all locked.

            I dashed up the stairs at the end of the hallway, gliding my hand against the wooden railing. From what I could see, there was a bathroom. I didn’t spend much time examining it, but I saw it had a glass shower and a small toilet.

            Continuing down the new hallway, I turned into a vacant room. From the looks of it, it looked like the guest room. Only an already-made bed and a dresser were occupied the space. It was dark, except for the moonlight that peeped through the blinds.