Chapter 20. Gonna Get Caught

Chapter Twenty ~ Gonna Get Caught

          Suddenly, everything was too bright. The soft yellow light had turned into a harsh beam. Sounds were louder. The conversations boomed loudly in my ear and I could suddenly hear birds chirping from outside.

            I glanced down at my trembling hands and gasped. I needed to stop the shaking, but I couldn’t. The fear and anxiety bit eagerly at my mind, driving the rest of my body insane.

            Gretchen noticed my sudden anxiety and spoke loudly, “Damien? Are you okay?”

            My eyes shot up from the hands and gazed into her clear green eyes. “What?” My voice was shaky and broken.

            Levi glanced over his shoulder at me. His eyebrows were pulled into a questioning look. “Damien?”

            I needed to call Dad. That would fix everything. “Yes, yes. I’m fine. I just remembered I promised to check in with my dad after we arrived.”

            Gretchen started to talk and I saw Levi smiling at me. I didn’t pay attention to the any words spoken. My mind was too restless.

            “Damien!”

            “Hm?” I questioned, breaking away from my thoughts.

            “You can’t get service here,” she repeated.

            Sam let out a frustrated sigh as she fell back onto the sofa. “Unfortunately…”

            “What do you mean there’s no service?”

            “It means your cell phone won’t work here,” Levi explained, throwing an arm around my shoulder. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

            “Where can I find signal?”

            He merely shrugged. “Probably just the edge of Clearbourough. The road that leads here cuts through the woods so signal would be very weak, if at all.”

            I began to shake more. The sensation caught up to my teeth, making them clatter against each other. My whole body was shaking now.

            No. No! NO!

            Instinctively, I latched onto Levi’s arm. “Take me back, now!”

            His confused look didn’t change. If anything, it became more severe. “Damien…” His voice was soft and laced with concern. “What’s wrong?”

            I had somehow gained the interest of the others. Henry returned from the kitchen. Sam sat up straight in her seat, and Jax raised a brow. They stared at me with questioning looks.

            “N-nothing is wrong. I need to go back home.” I squeezed my eyes shut, forcing myself to relax but I couldn’t. Dad was going to rob them without knowing Crystal was there. And here I was, rolling around in bed with Levi. I needed to warn him.

            Silence washed over us. It was a few moments before Gretchen broke the silence. “Okay, we’ll take you home. In the morning, we can-”

            “No!” I shouted at the top of my lungs. “I need to go now!”

            Henry stifled a laugh. “Son, it is eleven at night. I’m sure-”