Chapter 3 ~ Cute Little Bottle

1

I X all the friends
who come to my house after that.

They were all eaten by the house.
But it wasn't enough.

To begin with, I found children around my age and invited them in. They were all deceived by the sweet smell of food and my smile. All   of   these   children   were   hungry.   And   on   top   of   that,   pure.   They wanted   to   believe   in   a   dream,   that   happiness   would   come   upon them alone. Though such a thing would never conveniently appear before them, their childish hearts easily accepted the comforting allure. Just the way I had.
The house itself used what it knew to kill my friends with ease, and it did so in a variety of ways. I didn't need to do anything. Only reach out an inviting hand. Crushing them between the walls was the simplest way. From time to   time   a   lucky   child   would   escape   and   run   down   the   hall,   but   a knife   from   nowhere   would   quickly   take   care   of   them.   The   house had always had such traps in place. Because   this   was   a   witch's   house.   A   house   created   by   demons   to devour humans. It was no surprise at all that it would be filled with deadly implements.

Every   time   the   house   ate   a   person,   it   voiced   its   gratitude   -   thank you, thank you - and I was embarrassed of my past self for failing to carry out my job as a witch.
Regret? Guilt? I felt no such things. Because I wanted to be cured. Because I wanted someone who would love me. By merely piling up the pebbles before me, I could have my wishes granted.   Anyone   given   that   offer   would   have   chosen   the   same.   I picked them up, and I stacked. Yet   they   weren't   pebbles,   but   white   bones.   People's   round   skulls. Perhaps  the  big   question   was   whether   these   were   on   the   level   of pebbles, or if they had indeed been a person's life.
Human souls, for now, were currency. Money with which a witch can buy spells from a demon. Just as I exchanged the souls of father and mother for the spell of this house, I needed more souls to receive things from the demon. I   had   to   continue   working   not   only   for   the   cure   the   demon promised, but for medicine to slow the progression of my sickness. When I stepped outside that day, I saw my fingertips splotched with red.   Even   though   there   had   never   been   symptoms   of  my   sickness there before. It   was   because   I   had   stopped   drinking   my   medicine   since   I   came here. I trembled with fear. I didn't want it to get any worse. I clung to   the   demon's   medicines.   Even   if   I   didn't   know   how   much   they helped to slow it.
When the house ate a person, my body flushed up with heat, and I
felt the soul being taken to the demon. I   didn't   know   any   exact   numbers,   but   I   was   recompensed   for feeding him humans. With medicine to slow my sickness, for the time being. The remainder, so to speak, went toward offerings to the demon to grant my wish.
"Not really an offering. 's just a transaction." I   turned   to   the   thick   voice,   and   a   black   crow   settled   on   the   open window's sill. "Heya," the crow greeted, flapping open its wings. I looked at him with arms folded and a look of disgust. "Just leave the medicine and go." "Ooo,   scary.   Kid's   got   no   respect,   no   respect.   Hey,   what's   with you?", the crow spat at the black cat down on the floor. "Sheesh.   I'd   advise   against   trying   to   make   her   angry,"   he   angrily replied, but he made no implication that the crow was a nuisance. It felt as if the cat and the crow were long-time acquaintances. "I heard ya. Good doin' business. Smell ya!" The   crow   flapped   his   wings   a   few   times,   then   took   off   from   the window. I shut it firmly with irritation. Though I needed not touch it directly; the things of this house moved as I willed. "You don't like him?" "Nope. He's just so noisy," I coldly said. The cat scratched his nose with a sigh.
I bought my medicine from another demon, distinct from the black cat. I just called him the crow demon.