Chapter 4 ~ A Girl Who Was Loved

Then a girl came over to play.
A cute girl it's golden braids.

...Don't go too deep into the forest. That's what my father had always told me. All the adults in the village said the same thing, so it seemed like a platitude said to children who wanted to play in the forest. The wind blew, making my skirt and golden braids sway. Holding  the  hair  out  of  my  eyes,  I looked up.  Through  gaps in the green branches above my head, I could just barely see the blue sky. It was a hot summer afternoon. And there I was, in the forest.
There was a great forest near the village I lived in. The forest, which was bountiful year-round, was very useful for the villagers. I  liked to  pick  flowers  there myself,  and  it  was  a familiar playground to me. I stepped on the twigs with my leather shoes. I walked the forest with a hazy feeling. I'm   going   to   play   in   the   forest,   I   casually   said.   At   my   back,   father said it again. Don't go too deep into the forest. He said it just as casually, I felt. I let it slip through my ears as usual. But for some odd reason, his words seemed to clutch at my chest today. I was thirteen now. Do you really think I'd get lost in the forest, dad?

My father, a hunter, was always going into the forest. There were adults who went looking for wild plants, too. It   wasn't   like   they   couldn't   go   deep   in   the   forest.   Why   tell   us   we can't go? There seemed to be no reason at all. Such was my thought as I walked along, going deeper than I usually did.
I hesitated slightly, but I knew my way back. I kept walking. There   was   tall   grass   all   around,   probably   because   people   rarely went this way. I soon grew tired and sat down on a moderately-sized fallen tree. There   were   little   white   flowers   around   the   tree.   As   I   gazed   at   the lovely flowers, I thought. They had the same name as me - Viola. Though I didn't see them often, as this wasn't their season.
I loved flowers. Just looking at them seemed to make time pass in a blink. A pleasant wind blew at my hair. Just sitting there in the wind made me feel like I was a flower myself. A perfectly calm forest. It made my eyes droop shut. ...And then -
Rustle.
I nearly leapt up in surprise at the noise from the thicket behind me. As I turned around, my father's words filled my head again.

What would I do if it were a beast? But there couldn't be beasts in such shallow forest. Wiping away a cold sweat, I saw...
Meeoh.
A black cat, meowing in a very low voice. It looked at me with gold eyes, swinging its long tail. After my breath stopped for a moment, I took a deep sigh. "Whew..." I giggled, laughing at my silliness. "Come here." I squatted and beckoned to it. The cat curtly turned its back to me, so I hurried to my feet. I   thought   it   was   running   away,   but   it   wasn't   so.   It   walked   slowly within my sight, turning back to me and meowing again. I stood there and blinked. Was it saying to follow...? It seemed strange to think, but that was how it seemed.
I   didn't   think   the   cat   was   inviting   me   into   a   world   of   dreams   or anything like that, but my feet naturally followed it. It stepped into a thicket, taking a path I didn't know. Perhaps at this rate, I would be going deep into the forest... I hesitated. But only for a moment. My haste at losing sight of the black cat led me to jump into the thicket.
I   walked   behind   the   black   cat.   Past   the   thicket   were   paths   barely wide enough for a person to walk along.

After a while of walking up and down slight inclines, an open area came into sight. It was a little flower garden. Red bell-shaped flowers and blue flowers bloomed in a mixture. Who   knew   such   a   place   was   here?   I   delighted   upon   seeing   the flowers. I squatted down to pick one, and the black cat meowed to call me. When   I   looked   up,   I   saw   it   sitting   between   a   gap   in   the   trees, looking my way. It seemed the path went on. The cat didn't wait for me to stand and went deeper. "W-Wait!"   I   raised   my   voice,   but   knew   it   wouldn't   stop   the   cat.   I hurried to my feet and reluctantly left the flower garden behind.
I followed the black cat between the trees. And there appeared before me - "Wow..." A great garden teeming with red roses. A sigh slipped out my mouth. There   was   a   single   path   ahead   of   me,   as   if   adorned   by   the   roses around it. And there were all kinds of flowers, not just roses. At the end of the path was a great mansion. I felt like I really had been taken to a world of dreams.
I followed the cat up to the mansion. I looked up at the two-story building. A red roof sat atop dark stone walls. There were flowers decorating the windows. The house stood as if concealed by the trees surrounding it. The   cat   slid   through   the   front   door   of   the   house.   Had   it   already been open? The door didn't close, but remained slightly ajar.